Antique Drawknife with Antique Drawknifer

Church & Son

I think Neo-Tribalism has a lot to do with being a minimalist, using what you have or find . My lovely bride is a artist/photographer. She took this one while I was making tomahawk hafts. The drawknife I found in a barn where wagons were made in the mid 19th century. Those are Sweetgum limbs that Mother Nature threw at us and I cut them with a crosscut saw and then split them with the 'hawk stuck beside the vise. By the way, that is inside the Redbud Forge, it's a big place......Randy

shaved.jpg

Good picture, I like the "old" feel of it. Also, I just checked out your website - you have some nice looking work on there.

You look a lot like old pictures of my grandfather, Randy. If you ever find another draw knife like that and want to sell it please let me know. Your wife is truly an artist. Oh, the Redbud Forge looks like a great place to work, too.

Thanks Fergy and Danny. I'll keep an eye open for more drawknives. Some of the woodworking stores carry them but pricey. And Sandi says thanks, she calls her style "Tin Type" and takes mostly barns, old houses and of coarse old hippies.....Randy

Hey Randy,
I could tell by looking at yopur work that you really enjoy what you are doing. It's great to have a wife that really gets into what she likes. You compliment each other nicely.
And I agree with Denny, nice smithy. Wade

Thanks Wade, yes, lovely bride is great. And everytime I think of building a roof, the sun shines and the southern breeze blows and I forget about it 'till the next time it rains.....Randy

I can get you one Danny. Antiques buddy of mine has a handful of nice ones in his shop below my studio. He's into old tools, and has fair prices. Found both of my Fisher anvils, and one of my post vises for me. Probably be about $25 or so.

Back