Another Pocket clip (tip up) question

J S Machine

I'm currently working on two knives that are not necessarily flippers, but the possess a few of the qualities. I'm looking for as smooth of opening operation as I can get, and the knives will have the little kicker on the bottom of the blade that protrudes out from the backside of the handle when closed.

However, I think I may have an issue. The pocket clip is always the last thing I really thing about, and these particular knives are liner lock folders. They have scale material on either side. One is fossil walrus ivory and the other is fossil mammoth. I'm not sure if I should attempt the mount a pocket clip to the rear of the handle area, over the scale material. Even though the screws will reach down and into the liner below, something about the pocket clip resting on the scale material makes me nervous.

Is it acceptable to mount one over that or should I just come up top and mount it to the bolster - which would make it tip down carry?

OK, here's my 2 cents worth...I would opt for tip down if the blade will have a flipper tab on it. That way it will be less likely to come open in your pocket and if it does happen to come open a little then the removal of it from your pocket will tend to close the blade rather than have it open even more by snagging the tip on the inside of the pocket.

I carry all of my pocket knives, including flippers, tip up.

I also think drilling to the bolster would look, well not good anyhow.

The clip shouldn't damage the scale much (any damage would be under the pinch point and all but unnoticeable, if it damages at all).

Back