Almost done with a new grinder build...

Drew Riley

When I first got started in knife making, I built a NWGS out of some steel, mostly procured from a local scrap yard, along with a few other used parts and pieces. The only thing I really splurged on was the wheels. Over the years, I've made a handful of necessary mods to it, and many fine knives with it, but it just wasn't cutting the mustard anymore.... Don't get me wrong, it's still a great grinder, and as good or better than anything I could get for the same money at the time (maybe even still), but I figured it was about time to upgrade.

Now the question became, should I buy a turn key grinder, open the box and go, buy a kit, and build, or design and build something from scratch? Well, after much deliberation, I opened up Fusion 360 and got to work designing something that would have exactly what I wanted in a grinder, or pretty darn close to it. After many hours, revisions, and deletions, I scraped enough of a basic design together to send some aluminum plate over to Mark Vanderwest at Leading Edge to have the basic parts cut.

Basic requirement: Multiple tool arm sockets, versatile/adjustable work rest system, rotates 90, direct drive/variable speed, primarily tool-less for adjustments, etc....

Oh, and for some reason, I was really hung up on using something similar to Mick Strider's over-center cam tensioning system (also seen on John Grimsmo's grinder, and another USN member... grumpy phil I think?)

So here are a few pictures, although it's still a little dirty from my dirty greasy hands running all over it...

Untitled by AR Custom Knives (Andrew Riley), on Flickr

Initial impressions are very good. I'm loving the "on/off" tension feature (hope Mick doesn't mind that I borrowed his idea), and it's so nice to finally have both a variable speed grinder AND a horizontal option. I still need to mount my 8" contact and small wheel attachment to some tool arms, and the work rest set up will have to be slightly modified for use with those as they stick out from the grinder body a few more inches, and the current work rest arm isn't quite long enough to get in front of them. I've got some ideas though... just gotta get some tool arm materials in.

There's still a small handful of minor tweaks to do, and final proof of concept will be grinding out a few knives on it, but I think I'm gonna really like this thing.

One last thing: It may or may not be obvious, but I drew inspiration from several grinders currently in existence, including, but not limited to: Chris Williams' Wilmont Grinder, Mick Strider's "Sofa King" grinder, Brian Fellhoelter's Ubergrinder, John Grimsmo's grinder, and even perhaps Rob Frink's KMG, to name just a few. Not that I tried to copy or clone anything exactly, but I think I'd be kidding myself and others if I didn't give at least some credit for the inspiration and ideas.

Thanks for looking. I'll eventually try to get some videos up of the grinder in action, and a better video (than what's on my channel) of the work rest system.

Very well thought out and great work on the build. I really like the horizontal option and tables. I personally would like to see rubber on all the contact
wheels and some different wheel sizes including a 14" for large hollows but I see it would be easy with more tool arms. I don't think its a bad thing to use the best features from other grinder makers and you did give them all credit.
Great work! I would love to own this.

Last edited:
Very well thought out and great work on the build. I really like the horizontal option and tables. I personally would like to see rubber on all the contact
wheels and some different wheel sizes including a 14" for large hollows but I see it would be easy with more tool arms. I don't think its a bad thing to use the best features from other grinder makers and you did give them all credit.
Great work! I would love to own this.

Thanks Bruce! I would like to upgrade to some vulcanized wheels eventually. In the mean time, in order to save a few bucks on the build, I opted to go with a 4 wheel set from a seller by the name of vwjackstraw on eBay. I gotta say, I'm very impressed with the wheels for the price. IMO, these are every bit as good as any of the pricier options out there, and they are priced very competitively.

I'm also making some PVC small wheels to see how they compare/hold up. I made a 1.5" wheel last night and it seems promising.

I love it! Impressive work! I'd love to have somthing like that;)

Thanks Daniel. There was a lot of thought, time and effort put into the build, and it certainly seems to have pad off. My NWGS has served me well over the years, and been a work horse of a machine, but this is definitely a significant upgrade!

I've been following along on Youtube and love the grinder. Great job! Now, you just need to break it down and get a mirror polish on all that aluminum. :biggrin:

I've been following along on Youtube and love the grinder. Great job! Now, you just need to break it down and get a mirror polish on all that aluminum. :biggrin:

Haha. What's funny is that I had a dream a day or two before I received my parts, and it was all highly polished. Looked pretty good!

Andrew,
Ive made several smaller wheels and put my own rubber on. I bought heat shrinkable tubing and turned them smooth. Works great.
Ebay has some affordable sizes of the tubing. Be sure to get the type that has adhesive inside so it adheres to the wheel.

Andrew,
Ive made several smaller wheels and put my own rubber on. I bought heat shrinkable tubing and turned them smooth. Works great.
Ebay has some affordable sizes of the tubing. Be sure to get the type that has adhesive inside so it adheres to the wheel.

Hmm... I debated trying that as well, but I figured the rubber would be too thin and wear off. Glad to hear it works. I think Ive actually got some larger HS tube that would work.

Thanks for the tip!

Hmm... I debated trying that as well, but I figured the rubber would be too thin and wear off. Glad to hear it works. I think Ive actually got some larger HS tube that would work.

Thanks for the tip!
The HS tubing comes in size ranges so you want to go to the maximum size in your range to get the thickest possible rubber. Its plenty thick enough to lathe down afterwards, in fact turning it true is a must as its out of round right out of the oven.

Back