AEB-L cutting test - with sub zero quench

KDX

With this knife I added a sub zero quench to the process. Should be around 61Rc.

[video=youtube;sUmzIsXGCWM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmzIsXGCWM[/video]

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
AEB-L is turning into a favorite steel.

Good cutting testing. Have you compared these results to any other steels?

KenH

That's a sharp knife and holds an edge! Good testing. I'd LOVE to see the exact same blade, but with no dry ice quench compared side by side to see how much difference would be.

Thanks for posting.

Ken H>

KDX

Thank you, and thanks for the replys. I did a small test blade (and video) prior to this one without the sub zero quench. It's about 60Rc. It does well, but I would say there is a slight difference. In all my videos I have used the same format so I have a baseline to compare to. I've used (in no particular order) CPM154 (Strider), S35VN (Sebenza 25), Elmax (Kevin Cox), S110V (Strider, I wonder about the heat treat on that one), W2 (my own), 3V (GSO 5.1), SR101 (Swamp Rat Rodent Solution), PD#1 (Strider, similar to 3V) and Sleipner (DPx Hest/F). I'm a big fan of AEB-L. I think for the average end user it's probably the best steel out there. This is the video without the sub zero quench.

[video=youtube;sdhOCjaLWlw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdhOCjaLWlw[/video]

Last edited:

KenH

KDX - thanks for posting the 2nd video. Is the number of cuts fairly close to the same in both videos? Looks like the sub-zero HT might cut the phone book sheets a "tad" better than the non-sub-zero HT. Both sharpened up very easy to just slice thru that phone book. I'd be happy with either blade. Now for my question, do you think you could tell which knife was which using it kitchen or skinning a deer?

Ken H>

KDX

I don't think the average user could tell the difference. If they were both identical with the same blade shape, geometry etc I think I could tell the difference.

KenH

Thanks for the info KDX - say you "think" you could tell the difference all other things being equal? Sounds like it'd be a close race between the two methods. Sorta what I had thought would be the difference in dry ice or freezer for Sandvik steels.... more of a "twilight" difference rather than "daylight 'n dark" difference.

Ken H>

KDX

Correct, at least with my limited experience. As per Darrin's suggestion above I will shoot for 62-63Rc next time to see what it's like and that will definitely require a sub zero quench.

KDX

That particular knife was one of four that I heat treated together. I had one of the remaining tested and it was 62Rc.

Blade-Runner

My apologies if I bud in on an old conversation, but I am a little fascinated by the cold treatments of steels, and I am curious if you think it would've made an improvement if you had gone with a deep cryogenic treatment (down to -196C, -320F), rather than just a shallow treatment?