A quick sharpening on Tim's Knife

Discussion in 'Ed Caffrey, MS "The Montana Bladesmith"' started by EdCaffreyMS, Jan 23, 2018.

1. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

2. Casey Brown

Casey Brown Active Member

Awesome! I've been wanting to start sharpening this way. I have an Edgepro system that I have used for sharpening, but it takes FOREVER to put the initial edge on there. I just finished up a batch of 9 knives that were gifts for a group I work with, and I was terrified to try this on them for the initial edge. Going to have to practice on some that aren't going out to get the technique down.

Smallshop likes this.
  3. Johan Nel

Johan Nel Well-Known Member

Nice! A little tongue in the cheeck too...:D:p

4. John Wilson

John Wilson Well-Known Member

I laughed at the "ghost knife" reference... That was good.

Smallshop likes this.
  5. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

That was the FASTEST knife sharpen job I've seen!!!
    Excellent video(as usual)! What abrasive on the buffer...Tim was camera on him when you buffed...lol. Also what angle knife-to-buffing wheel?

6. EdCaffreyMS

EdCaffreyMS Forum Owner - Moderator

Loose buffing wheel with Pink No-Scratch. I have no idea what angle.... just VERY light pressure, so the buffing wheel only touches the last 1/8" or less of the blade (from the edge). One quick pass on each side to knock off the burr.

Smallshop likes this.
  7. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Thanks Ed! You made it look too easy...lol. My first try did not shave...or the second...but it DID cut through the rubber belt I needed to cut with ease. I'll practice your method...till my arms look like a salamander's...lol