a few 95% done

RAGUEL3

Need final cleanup/buff then done with these three

Nessmuk is 10",5" blade, antiqued finish, 5/32 thick 1075, Stainless 3/16 pins, high convex w/Marblewood

Persian style recurve is 12", 6 1/4 " blade 1/4 thick 5160 hollow ground and treated Sneaux finish, 1/2 inch brass bolts, w/Ziricote'

Broadhead is 9 1/2, 4 1/2 blade. 1/8 thick 1095, Hollow,false swedge,stainless 3/16 pins w/ highly figured Cocobolo from Nicaragua

None are sharpened yet .

All done on 2x42 and an older Grizzly. Scales on the large recurve and the small broadhead were hand sanded.

Attachments

• DSCF2965.jpg
    DSCF2965.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF2966.JPG
    DSCF2966.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF2980.JPG
    DSCF2980.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF2983.JPG
    DSCF2983.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF2995.JPG
    DSCF2995.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 48
Thanks Mr C, workin as fast as I can with what Ive got,lol....
Plan to build a No Weld or two this fall/winter if I get time.
Should be able to knock stuff out after that, just takes a lot more hand work than it should right now.
BUT- That makes you appreciate detail,and teaches you you work smart , so it evens out

Can you explain some more about that Sneaux finish? I tried to google it, but only returned some shoes. Great work BTW.

Paul

Can you explain some more about that Sneaux finish? I tried to google it, but only returned some shoes. Great work BTW.

Paul

LOLOL,.. yeah yeah, so Im a Coonazz.

For anyone who hasnt done this one ,...

Gunblue,steel wool, gunblue,finer wool, clean up.

Next take a household spray cleaning bottle(kaboom,409,orangeclean,etc) and mix a soulution of 60/40 straight bleach and apple vinegar(cause plain vin and bleach is pretty rank after a few hours) and holding at arms length-or maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet away if in vise,and in one smooth motion give it a spray pass in one direction, dont get too close or youll wash out the pattern your making. hit both sides at same time if can and clamp,magnet whatever in place, Check the small bubble pattern on the blade, not uniform?- wipe rinse and do it again. You want a nice even spray pattern and no running drips.
Let sit for maybe 2 hrs on 5160, on 10xx series you may need longer depending on where you live(atmospheric cond's)

When you check it, it should appear to be rusting damascus looking, then you wash solution off with soap n water or baking soda, and steel wool again lightly to knock off any rust,.. and Voila'! you have a nice dark greyish weathered pattern, or if you made a single backed off further than arms length pass, you get the "Cajun Sneaux" effect :)

I have got to try that. I'll bet on O1 it would take a while longer. Thanks,

Paul

Another way, for a plain steel(unblued) to get a pitted gray aged look put the blade in a plastic container filled with bleach and vinegar and let it soak for about two or three 15 minute cycles, cleaning it in between cycles. It's merely an accelerated aging and pitting process, but it works nicely for heavy use stuff that looks like Dan'l Boone owned it first.
I did a huge 5160 bowie and treated it like this, looked like I found it out on the Sandbar in Natchez.

Another Knifedog who does a lot of this kind of thing with various methods is our own Raymond Richard.

Boy I feel like a Dink now tho,.. I cut this blade out over a year ago, and it was meant to be a Persian bowie,..then it got changed to a recurve at last minute two months back.
finally got around to scales this past week ,and posted.
I get my Tactical Knives mag in the mail this week and guess whats featured?
The revamped Rescue II by legendary Walter Brend,.. Im almost a dead ringer.
At least I can say im imitating a legend, albeit unintentionally, lol

Back