Doug Lester

I just got a reply to email that I sent to Admiral Steel yesterday. They no longer stock 9260 spring steel. I don't know of any other supplier in the US who sells in small quantities. My understanding from our members in Great Britain is that they have a hard time finding EN45, their equivalent of 9260, in small quantities. So any of us who have wanted to or do use this alloy will have to find another.

Doug

You may well have contacted them already but Summit Steel in OH is a vendor for it. They're on my list to check - 5160 is great but I'd like to give 9260 a shot.

They may have changed, but when I contacted Summit Steel last fall for a quote, they were selling by the ton, 5 ton minimum.
You might try Security Steel Supply, http://www.securitysteelsupply.com/spring.htm. They stock 5160H and 1084 and may have other steels. I got a quote for 1084 that was within pennies of Aldo, but they sell by the 22ft bar(cut to UPS size was included in price) which was more steel than i wanted, so I didn't buy any.
Scott

Last edited:
5 tons. That would be a heck of a group buy. Thanks for the info - I had not contacted them personally but had been recommended to, guess I know now! Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never been able to find another place state side. I wonder if Summit Steel was the place that I found a few years ago. They had a minimum order of $2K for each size ordered. I guess my decision to go back to 9260 will have to go on hold. I have a knife from it that didn't come out quite the way that I wanted and I use it a lot for cutting up boxes to go into the garbage can. It can sure do a lot of cutting before I have to put a new edge on it. Maybe I'll drop Aldo a line and see if he has any leads.

Doug

Back