5" Kiridashi WIP

diverdale

Got started on this little guy last weekend. Just sketched it on some craft paper and traced on some 1/8" 1084. Decided to do a single sided grind for my first finished product, since I had issues the first first time. Scales are scrap cocobolo from bowl turning. Obviously still have some work to do but wanted to get the scales pretty close before gluing it up. Planning on sanding/polishing a little more. Let me know what you folks think.

Question: How close to a final edge do you guys get before heat treating? I left this about the thickness of a dime or a little less and it seems like a fair bit of work to get a good sharp edge on it from there.
Kiridashi1.jpgKiridashi2.jpgKiridashi3.jpg

Looks good...most sources I've read say that about a dime in thickness before heat treat is about right.

Looks good...most sources I've read say that about a dime in thickness before heat treat is about right.
Thanks Sean,
Looking forward to getting into this a bit more. I've always loved knives but didn't realize it was a fairly accessible hobby until recently.

That's really nice. You may know this but I will throw it out there just in case. When clamping the scales on, Make sure you have acetone and clean all the epoxy that squeezes out on the ricasso part of the blade. It is hard to clean that area when it dries with out scratching up your nice finish.

That's really nice. You may know this but I will throw it out there just in case. When clamping the scales on, Make sure you have acetone and clean all the epoxy that squeezes out on the ricasso part of the blade. It is hard to clean that area when it dries with out scratching up your nice finish.

I know little to nothing about the ins and outs ... all tips/recommendations are welcome. I've done a lot of woodworking and welding as well as other tinkerings along the way but knife making is all brand new.

I know little to nothing about the ins and outs ... all tips/recommendations are welcome. I've done a lot of woodworking and welding as well as other tinkerings along the way but knife making is all brand new.

Well this is the place. I have been into it about a year, but only have made a few finished knifes. This site kind of intimidated me at first. Everybody is so talented. Then I started asking my rookie questions and I realized how kind and helpful they are. also

As Sean said I HT at a dime's thickness or just a little thicker. I really like how you made the shape for the scale end follow the angle of the blade, that looks cool. If I ever make another dashi I may steal that...

Weather was nice today so I left work a little early and did some more shaping on the scales and polishing on the dashi. No pics but I hope to have it glued up tomorrow.

I like the little kiridishi. I made a few when I started knifemaking and have been meaning to make more. Here are a few I finished.

Really nice! I chose this size because I could ge 2 out of a 12” stick ... I’m thinking my scales are too thin but hey ... it’s a process right?

Really nice! I chose this size because I could ge 2 out of a 12” stick ... I’m thinking my scales are too thin but hey ... it’s a process right?

I keep most of my longer cut off pieces for just this type work. Here is another one that is really small.

Back