4 Exhibition Grade Stabilized Blocks

Discussion in 'Supplies: maker or collectors' started by J. Doyle, Aug 3, 2017.

1. J. Doyle

J. Doyle Dealer - Purveyor

As the title says, I've got 4 blocks for sale, all professionally stabilized by K&G, that are the best of the best. I feel that each represents the best the species can get. Full end to end, front to back figure/curl and/or eyesThese are nice big blocks, solid and defect free, as far as I can tell.

Price includes free shipping to the US. Paypal preferred.

#1: $65 SOLDStabilized Curly Koa 2" x 4 7/8" x 1 3/16"
    #2: $65 SOLDStabilized Curly Koa 1 7/8" x 4 7/8" x 1"
    #3: $40 SOLDStabilized Redwood Lace Burl 2 1/8" x 5 1/8" x 1 1/8"
    #4: $45 SOLDStabilized Naturally two-tone Amboyna Burl 1 3/4" x 5 5/8" 1 5/8"
    [​IMG]

I have 3 bargain bundles left from a previous thread. I thought these would all be gone by now so I'll sweeten the deals a little (Read on further)
    These are really nice pieces of stabilized and natural blocks and scales. All of the pieces are what I consider full sized pieces. Most of the blocks are about 2" x 4 7/8" x 1". Nice solid pieces.

Each bundle contains: 1 bookmatched set of natural claro walnut scales, 2 stabilized curly/quilted redwood blocks, 1 premium natural box elder burl block and 2 natural maple burl blocks.

Each bundle WAS only $100. *BUT* I will lower the price to $90 per bundle. If you buy any two bundles, the price will be $170. And if you buy all 3 bundles, the price will be $250. Also, I will throw in an extra block (my choice from stuff I have here...It won't be junk) with every bundle purchased. So if you buy two bundles, you'll get a discount plus two extra blocks and if you buy 3 bundles, a further discount plus 3 extra blocks.
    All prices include free shipping to the US. Paypal preferred.

Bundle #1: SOLD
    [​IMG]

Bundle #2:
    SOLD
    [​IMG]

Bundle #3:
    SOLD
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. J. Doyle

All 4 of the individual blocks are sold.

The 3 bargain bundles are still available. Please read the text to take advantage of discount pricing and bonus blocks. Thanks!

3. WY_Not

WY_Not Well-Known Member

Yer killing me. I don't need these blocks right now. I'd never be able to do them justice. Heck I'm still trying to figure out how to finish the wood scales (burl maple) on the kit knife (yeah it is cheap but it is practice) I'm working on right now. I've got it shaped and sanded to 800 grit but am at a loss right now as to how to properly finish wood scales.

4. J. Doyle

You can never go wrong stockpiling wood for handles. They don't go bad on the shelf and the prices of stuff only gets higher and things get rarer. Good wood for handles is an investment. Like money in the bank. You don't want to look back in a year and wish you would have bought stuff when it was cheaper. :)

To elaborate a little, let's break one of the bundles down.

You pay $90 and get 7 blocks/scales. Right off the bat, that's $12.85 per handle at 7 handles.

The walnut scales are REALLY nice. I would pay $25 for them all day long. The box elder burl block is premium. Spend $5 to stabilize it and it's a $40 block. The maple blocks are easily worth $35 each stabilized. And the redwood are nice neat blocks worth at least $20 each, one of them probably more than that. And then the extra block I'll throw in per bundle will be worth at least $25.

That's a value of $195 just from that. Now that's why they're called 'bargain' boxes. Not because it's junk. And if you happen to get two handles from any of them, which you could do with the walnut scales for sure...then you're even better off.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Smallshop likes this.
  5. WY_Not

WY_Not Well-Known Member

Oh, I know. You are preaching to a believer here. Dad was a machinist/toolmaker and one of his favorite sayings was, "Buy once, cry once." The another was, "It only costs a nickel more to go first class." And yet another was, "If you are going to do something, do it right." That environment went a long way in shaping my attitudes about buying tools and materials. Unfortunately, the wife and the wallet don't always cooperate. :oops:

6. J. Doyle

Hahaha...great post. I get what you're saying. Thanks for the laugh!

7. JeremyBartlett

JeremyBartlett Well-Known Member

I'll take bundle 3 John if it's still available

J. Doyle likes this.
  8. J. Doyle

It's available and yours. Please send $90 to jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com. Thank you!

9. JeremyBartlett

Payment sent John, but PayPal was acting funny and didn't let me put a comment or select my address...let me know if there are any issues

10. JeremyBartlett

Ok, I know I shouldn't buuuuut...ill take bundle 2 as well if you still have it!

Smallshop likes this.
  11. J. Doyle

You got both Jeremy. I got payment and shipping info just fine. Thank you!

12. J. Doyle

Only bundle #1 is available. The rest are sold.

13. J. Doyle

Everything in this thread is now sold. Thanks everyone.

14. JeremyBartlett

Got my 2 bundles yesterday. Thanks for the amazing wood, super fast shipping and for the few extra pieces! If anyone is considering getting some wood from John, don't hesitate, you'll be very pleased!