3rd Annual KD July KITH

Sean Cochran

Its that time of year again when we plan our July KITH. Last year we had about 25 participants, lets see if we can get to 40 this year!
The rules will be the same as always;
We will shoot for a date on the middle of July.

1. The KITH is open to everyone. Last year some new makers turned out some great looking knives, so dont be afraid to enter.
2. On July 1st I will start a new finished knife thread to post a pic of your finished entry. We will draw from these names and match them up. Ill have an impartial party draw names and put them on the list in the order they are drawn.

Other than that I think we are ready to get this thing started. Just post here "Im in" and Ill check this thread from time to time to update the list, then we will finilize it on July 1.

Remember all members are encouraged to join in! Lets make this bigger than last year.

I know it may be asked, a KITH (Knife In The Hat) goes back to the days when a bunch of guys would get together to brag about thier knives, they would throw all the knives in a hat and draw them out.

1. Sean Cochran
2. Franklin
3. jaysmith10
4. Holland Bramlitt
5. DonL
6. Lagrange
7. Battle Creek Knives
8. Doug Lester
9. Cameron Wilcox
10. Brad
11. Dan Pierson
12. NPD
13. Gahagan
14. rasrat01
15. J.Leclair
16. Brad704
17. Uncle Billy Knives
18. Tod Lowe
19. A.W. Stovall
20. Archer Moon
21. Mark Redmon
22. thegeek574
23. Ausbrooks
24. Grizzlyknives
25. Pieter
26. gobblergetter
27. Patrick
28. dienekis
29. s2f
30. Remy
31. clancy
32. JAWilliams
33. Mike928
34. Travis Fry
35. D.Douglas
36. GHaile
37. Rob Nelson

Last edited:
"I'm In"

Just thinking out loud here, but maybe we should consider a couple category's for a level playing field..

blade length
handle materials
stock/forged, etc, etc...

I know its a gifted draw and we should be happy what we get, but I've seen people a little distraught after building multilayer handles, with liner bolsters, etched blade with hammon etc, to receive a bandsaw blade with a hemp wrap..
(of course I'm exaggerating, just saying)

I've only entered one, and if was a fair trade and I'm glad I did it.. But personally I'd feel a little bad if I sent out a mediocre knife to get a custom forged beauty with ivory handles, and a sheath to die for....

I'm in. I already have a couple of ideas to try. As far as having catagories to try to keep the trade even I think that would be hard to do. I just think that we need to remember that it is the quality of the work and not the material that we should shoot for. I know I did feel a little awkward when I realized that a Master Smith was getting my first KITH knife but I think that the only thing that we can as is that each person put forth their best effort with whatever form or material that they choose to use. That doesn't mean that anyone has to submit a European dagger with a damascus blade, fluted fossel ivory handle and engraved guard and pommel just because they are capable of that work. Simpler blades and material would be more appropriate. Don't mean to moderate this but that's my feelings.

Doug

I think Doug summed up pretty well. Not asking anyone to match materials, just give me your best workmanship and im happy.

The first year we talked about a theme or categories and decided it would be too much trouble.
Our KITH has always been open to all members, from new makers to MS makers. We have never had any problems as far as someone thinking a trade was unfair. The whole spirit of a KITH everyone brings their best to the game.
Everyone is encouraged to join in and make the best knife you can make whether that is knife #2 or #2000.

okay sounds good...

but I warn you, I may just try my hand at some 14kt gold pins, 1/4" of course :D

July will give us plenty of time, cant wait... I will have mine finished early as I have a tendency to procrastinate.... burning the midnight oil only to have something go wrong and have to pick another one off the bench in order to meet the deadline....

wont happen again, been there done that..

The whole spirit of a KITH everyone brings their best to the game.
Everyone is encouraged to join in and make the best knife you can make whether that is knife #2 or #2000.

That's pretty much the way I feel. Since I'm new, I've only been in one KITH and I felt like I owed it to the recipient to bring my best. Which meant working outside my comfort zone. It took two tries to get the knife the way I wanted with a lot of firsts for me. The sheath took me 3 tries and dog gone it, everything went well until I was putting the final finish on and realized I had made a left handed sheath!

I have a few ideas for this one already. Can't wait to get started and try new things!

. It took two tries to get the knife the way I wanted with a lot of firsts for me. The sheath took me 3 tries and dog gone it, everything went well until I was putting the final finish on and realized I had made a left handed sheath!

Next time let me know Don, I just happen to be a southpaw. :)

Im in. Is this the same as the other one posted up here or am I participating in two different ones on here?

Back