3/4" wide X 3/16" thick high carbon steel....

Dana Acker

Hi, I posted this over on the want to buy forum, but thought I'd post it in several areas, since not everybody visits every forum. As the subject line says, I'm looking for some high carbon steel 3/16" thick X 3/4" wide. I've got some projects coming up and that size would really be handy. I used to buy it in 1095 from Admiral, but they no longer carry that 3/4" width. They offered to cut me some for the cost of a decent used car, so I declined. I've looked at a bunch of commercial steel sellers and mostly what I come up with is 1" widths.

If anybody knows where I can get some, or has some they would be willing to part with, I'd like to hear from you. I can be contacted on forum or off forum at: ackerforge@yahoo.com

I really like the 1075-1095 series of steels, but I'm no steel bigot. O1, W1, W2, 5160, 52100, etc., etc., I down with any of those,

Thanks, Dana Acker

Why not grab a piece of .187”x1.5” and cut the length in half? I’ve never come across 3/4” except for special cut..which always incurs a fee.

Here you go.....McMaster carr has it in O1 here:

Tight-Tolerance Oil-Hardening O1 Tool Steel Bar, 3/16" Thick, 3/4" Wide | McMaster-Carr

And W1 here:

Easy-to-Machine W1 Tool Steel Bar, 3/16" Thick, 3/4" Wide | McMaster-Carr

Hey, thanks. Got it! Appreciate the heads up! I miss those old "Family Bible" sized yellow catalogs they used to send out. Those things would stop a bullet.

Back