2nd attempt at sheath making-Horizontal sheath

cajundad

My first attempt, after I posting to this site, I decided was not a very good effort, I even tried to delete the post but couldn't. :)This is my second attempt which turned out a little better than the first. :cool: I am posting this to show my progression, learning as I go. As you can tell, I'm very new at this and it's almost intimidating with all of the experts on this site to post anything here from a newbie, but here it goes anyway.......................

Attachments

• Horizontalsmallknife-Feb2021-v2.JPG
    Horizontalsmallknife-Feb2021-v2.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 47
Just my 2 cents the belt loops would be better is half moon top and bottom. Square corners to my way of thinking is the opportunity to tear easier.

Nice attempt. With this style sheath, think symmetry. Try to mirror top, bottom and both ends. It will look more pleasing to the eye. For example the belt slots.. they appear uneven.. they should be mirrors in angles and distances from edges. It appears you tried to use some type of black marker to color the sheath part. Go in one direction and overlap for a more even color. For a basic shiny black I use Kiwi Boot black. Most stores carry it. Stitching. Much better than my first attempts. I'd suggest using a back stitch for the first couple stitches at the beginning and end. These areas are subject to stresses. On line videos will give you example of how to finish stitching. You are on track just take your time

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hesitant to even post it here but in doing so I was hoping to see feedback like you guys have posted above. Both the black and burgundy are from bottles of leather dye I bought online. I'm about to buy some lighter shades as I'm not very pleased with my current choices. I've watched hours of stitching videos online and still struggling once I start "hands on". Anyway, thanks again for the advice, it's appreciated.

That is how we all start my friend. Repetition will bring improvements.

You are already ahead of the rest of the world who never made leather work. Now it is just a matter of how good do you want to get? The more you make something, the better you get at making it. Simple as that. Look at your finished work. Think about what you would do different/better next time and do it. Then look at your new work, think about how to do it better and get after making a better one, and so on. Repeat this until you are so happy with your results that nothing on earth could stop you from crafting more. And enjoy.-

As far as dye.. how are you applying the dye to the leather? The leather dyes darken the more you apply them. One good coat dries much lighter than several good coats. Depends on what you are going for. Test on a scrap piece of leather and note the results after it dries. You may also think about getting leather that is already dyed and skip the coloring all together.

When it comes to leather work, round is always better than square. Generally, rounded inner corners and outer corners look more pleasing to the eye than 90 degree sharp corners. Also, as someone already mentioned, symmetry is king. Plan out the location of where things will go ahead of time and make sure it will be symmetric before executing.

One more thing. You will make mistakes. That is ok. When you notice you've made a mistake, don't stop. Keep working on your project until the end, there may be more mistakes ahead and it is better to make them sooner and learn from them so that you can avoid them in the future. So always finish the piece you're working on even if there is a flaw on it. There may be more things to be learned yet from that one project.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing your next piece of leather work Cajundad!

Excellent feedback and tips. The dye I bought came with a round felt applicator. That's what I've been using and so far not impressed with it. But I will try the Kiwi boot black mentioned earlier. The rounded belt inserts were (attempted) to be patterned from the angle of the knife sheath (piece the knife fits in) but didn't work out that well as far as overall symmetry and looks. I will definitely keep in mind the suggestions made here on the next one. I bought a whole side of a cow years ago and kept it until I had more time to play with it, I now have that time and material to play with so more efforts will be forthcoming employing all of the suggestions made here. Thanks very much to all for your feedback.

Still inexperienced myself but I know you can punch those inside corners before you connect them with straight cuts. It looks like an overcut on the left side top right corner? And an edge groover will help keep the stitches straight. Over all definitely a raw package. I like the looks of the handle.

Back