• NEO-TRIBAL

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
The admins have voted and chosen the first 6 categories for The First Annual Knife Dogs Choice Awards (the "DOGGIES").

1. FIXED BLADE This will encompass all fixed blade knives regardless of style, blade material or construction method. However, this will change to NON-TACTICAL if TACTICAL FIXED BLADE is chosen in the poll.

2. FOLDER This will encompass all folding knives regardless of style, blade material or construction method. However, this will change to NON-TACTICAL if TACTICAL FOLDER is chosen in the poll.

3. ART KNIFE Open to highly decorated, carved, engraved or other collectable style knives.

4. LEATHERWORK Knife sheaths or Knife/Gun rigs.

5. NEW MAKER This is our version of The Horizon Award. Let's use this to showcase an exceptional newbie who is dedicated to carrying on the great tradition of custom knifemaking.

6. TOP DOG This award is meant to recognize someone on this forum who unselfishly dedicates themselves to promote knifemaking, instilling self confidence in others and whose contributions are invaluable to this forum and the knife industry in general.

We have agreed that 10 categories will be our limit so there are 4 openings left. Please use the above poll to vote for 4 or less categories that you would like to see included. Admins will break any ties.

I'll keep the polls open until Friday 1-21-11 at 7:00 CST then I'll post the final categories and w'll start the entry process.

Thanks for participating,
Steve

PS. when I set the poll I accidentally hit the public view button which allows everyone to view your votes.
I can't undo it so please don't let this deter you from voting. SJ

Last edited:
I voted!!!

I had to pick tactical fixed, tactical folder, educator, and collector.

Reasons are because tactical knives hold their own with a lot of people.
Educators, Well where would we be without the help and teachings from other great makers
Collectors, Well where would a lot of makers be with out them.............They are the back bone to custom Knives!!

Personally I would have liked to have seen the Bowies/Fighters separted from Hunters/Skinners in fixed blades. I still think we need to define a "New Maker".

I thought the same thing and would agree that fixed blades would be better in two categories. Bowie/fighters and hunters/skinners. Grinding a little hunter is a piece of cake compared to a large bowie.

Mike, Cliff,
My original thought was to separate fixed blades by length (above and below 10") because I believe the perception is that it is obviously harder to grind a longer blade, but we are just so limited on categories and this so new to us that we are trying to cover a broad spectrum of our members.

HOWEVER...... it has been mentioned that if an individual or organization or guild wanted to sponsor a special award that we would work in accordance with their wishes. The award would have to be paid for or donated (I'm thinking a Fendley/Carter collaboration Fighter/ Bowie LOL) by the sponsoring organization and would have to fit our standard criteria and not exclude any member of this forum for any reason.

You guys have been very active with this program and KnifeDogs in general and your opinions are welcomed.

Post or PM me with your thoughts.

Steve

Of the above categories I have chosen both tactical categories, hawks, axes and swords, and educator. I would like to think that the educator category would include those who have done the phenomenal WIP'S over the last year along with hammer-ins, classes etc. And Steve if there was a "Miss Congeniality" award you know I'd vote for you.

I understand Steven, we have to draw the line somewhere. Maybe by next year we can come up with some sponsors for some awards so we can break the categories down more.

How about a category for forged blades ? It is also my belief that we also need a biiiiig blade category over 12" ?

Ok, we have 6000 members and only 19 voters so far. Please do your best to spread the word so we can get some good participation.

Thanks,
Steve

Out of those options, I really only liked the hawk, sword, and axe category, and the neo tribal would be cool, too. But I wasn't really sure for the other two. I went with tactical fixed blade, because there are quite a few of them made, so I think it'd be good if they had their own category. The knife ornamentation would also be interesting to see what could be put on a knife to make it fancier.

I should have read Steven's first post BEFORE I voted in the poll. I think the basic 6 categories cover it pretty well.

I voted for the bottom 4, but agree that a forging/bladesmithing category would have been a very valid choice...

Brad,
We can consider that for next year, but we did have the category suggestions open for a week and this never came up.
Please remember to bring it up next year.
Thanks,
Steve

I thought I brought it up before, but after looking back, what I said was about Best Homemade Damascus Steel... Anyway, this thread isnt the place to keep going through that stuff, so I'll keep it in mind for 2011...

I voted !! Really looking forward to this !! Steve , Thanks out to you and the rest of the Mods for your hard work - again .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back