1st Hidden Tang - Got Questions

DonL

I've started my first hidden tang. I've read a lot of discussions on how it's done and watch a lot of videos. Before I go much further, I have a few questions.

First, at the inside corners, how much radius should I leave? I've heard that those corners should be rounded to prevent possible stress fractures during HT. Not sure if this one has enough or should I take a rounded file to the corners?

1stHiddenTang02.jpg

Also, does the tang need tapered more? Or does it need any taper at all?

1stHiddenTang.jpg

I have some more filing to clean it up before HT and profile it a little more. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

It's a matter of balance on the radius. The more radius there is the better the stress is distributed across the transition but the harder it may be to fit to handles and guards. The tang really does not need to be tapered at all. Those tapers that you see on historical examples may have come in handy to burn the blade in or it just may have been a way to make the tang a little longer without using more steel. I would put a little more radius in at the junction of the tang and blade, maybe a 1/4" chain saw file at least. I don't think that tapering the thickness of the tang is as important with a stick tang as with a full tang as the former is encased in handle material. I've even read plenty of debate as to how important a distal taper is in smaller full tang knives at all. I would, however, see if I could get a little more distal taper in the blade.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I took a round needle file prior to heat treating. It made it through good, however I jacked with the temp on my oven during temper and got a nice purple color along the edge. So I guess I'll re-treat tonight and see if it makes it through again.

As for the taper on the blade, when a knife is this thin, 1/8th, I normally grind after HT and add the taper then.

Thanks again

Tapering the tang a little makes fitting the guard much easier. Something to consider is where the tang is positioned on the blade; doing so dictates the position of the handle as well as the guard. Like handle in the middle of the blade or handle along the top of the blade.

Fred

Back