1080 Steel

Gliden07

I have a chance to buy some 1080 steel for $1 a pound. That's a good deal I'm assuming?? I've always bought buy the lenth!

On New Jersey Steel Baron for a 1.5" x 48" x .25" piece of 1084 it says it weighs 5.41lbs, which comes out to about $6.57 a pound. They don't have 1080 but I'm sure it's pretty close to the same price.

KenH

I have a chance to buy some 1080 steel for $1 a pound. That's a good deal I'm assuming?? I've always bought buy the lenth!
As long as it's in a form shape (bar, rod, etc) you can use - and you're SURE it's 1080 (1075 to 1084 is just fine), I'd get all I could. Well, perhaps not a ton of the stuff, but lots of it.

KenH

400 lb, and if it's in usable form (bars, rods, etc) I'd get the whole thing - that's not a very large pile. If you wished you could sell it and make some money - selling at $3 to $4/lb? Shipped in a flat rate box shipping costs wouldn't be that much.

Chris Railey

KNIFE MAKER
Maybe ask for a small piece to harden and snap to make sure its at least HC steel. Unless you know and trust the guy. I like 1075-1095 steels I have used them a lot. Yes there are better but they still make good knives. I would buy some from you for sure if you did not need the whole 400 pounds.

Gliden07

Should have known better!! Guy inventoried steel tells me there's 425 pounds of 1018 what would I offer?? NO "AD SAYS 1080?", "OH I just saw that, sorry it's 1018, are you still interested?" Me "No thank you for your time!" SOB!! SHOULD HAVE KNOWN!!