Plunge Line Tutorial

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Here is a video I did today that shows how I file in my plunge lines.

I hope they can help!!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baYu1Yyzr-o"]YouTube- Plunge Line Tutorial Part 1.wmv[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhXvjG19CM"]YouTube- Plunge Line Tutorial Part 2.wmv[/nomedia]

Thanks Ernie!! Just one question, What size chainsaw file are you using? Does it really matter - which size do you think would be best?

It dont matter, A smaller file will give more of a sharp radius.

I think mine is either a 1/4'' or 7/32''.

the reason I use a chainsaw file and not a regular round is that I can find them
just about anywhere around here and because the cut really good without
leaving big grooves or scratches.

That was what I was thinking, that the smaller ones would maybe give a "Sharper" plunge. I really appreciate this Ernie, I've been wondering if a Tri-corner was what I needed, but yours look good like that!

Thanks for the video. That was very informative for me. I've been wondering how to do a plunge line and this is a nice and clear answer.

Thanks again

Awsome tutorial Ernie. Thanks. I too have been having trouble with my plunges and I think this will help me out a whole lot.

Bennie

Nice work Ernie. I'm glad you took time to show how important it is to keep your file clean. That's one thing that doesn't seem like a big deal at first, but boy-oh-boy it sure makes a difference later when you're hand-sanding. Don't ask me how I know :eek:

What I do is make my plunge first. I than clean my plunge with a 3/16 round file that I ground a flat on, about 1/8 wide. I polish the flat on the file, so it won't scratch. I than place the flat of the file on the flat of the blade, and give a few strokes on each plunge, and it looks great! I also use a smooth cutting chainsaw file. I did it on 5 blades today, and am happy with the result! It only took a few minutes on each blade. The flat on the file don't scratch the blade as long as you keep the flat against the blade. Oh yes........ Keep it clean!
Dave

Last edited:
I tried to get a few pics of one in process, but pics didn't turn out at all! These two of a couple drawings of the file are readable, so here they are. A little dark but ok. I tried taking pics inside, outside, with flash. without flash, but they were all horrible.
The first pic, is how I made the flat on the file. I am working with 1/8 th material. You may need a larger file for thicker material. I polished the flat to 1000 grit. It doesn't scratch at all if kept clean. To use it, you push down and into the plunge at the same time. It is more stable than you would think.
When you grind the flat on your file, don't let it rock, because it will damage the edge next to the flat. Keep it as stable as possible. AND... Don't get the file hot!!! Keep it as cool as possible.

ives006-2.jpg

It will only take a few minutes to do both sides. Let me know if you have any questions, and what you think. I am impressed on how well it works myself. Just need to get the feel of things.
ives007-2.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Ernie,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I needed some recovery time. Chemo and knife shows don't mix very well.:D As usual you've outdone yourself again!!! I got to meet your second biggest fan, second to me2thumbs, face to face, finally. BillT only had good things to say, how much are you paying him for that service anyway?:D

Thanks again Ern.

Jeff

Here is a video I did today that shows how I file in my plunge lines.

I hope they can help!!

YouTube- Plunge Line Tutorial Part 1.wmv

YouTube- Plunge Line Tutorial Part 2.wmv

I bought both actually, the nicholson's are fairly inexpensive.
1/8 and 7/32

Jeff

Thanks Ernie!! Just one question, What size chainsaw file are you using? Does it really matter - which size do you think would be best?

Ernie, Thanks for posting this, Tried it last night and its worked perfect.

The tip from arrow I will try tonight!

Thanks guys this stuff is great

Hey Ernie,

Is that 1/4" stock? Do you find that your plunges develop better with a thicker stock like 3/16" or 1/4" as opposed to say 1/8"?

Thanks,

Jeff

I bought both actually, the nicholson's are fairly inexpensive.

Nicholsons are worth every penny, you will get LOTS of use out of those. Simonds are about the same price, and work as well in my experience. Depends on what's available in your local hardware store; they're both good.

File cards/brushes like Ernie uses in his tutorial are cheap (I mean like $2 or so) and worth their weight in gold! They outlast dozens of files and keep them cutting clean the whole time.

Arrow, that's a great tip! I believe it's called putting a "blind" or "safe" side on your file. I have a bunch that I ground smooth in a similar way.

Round files can be modded/used that way for setting plunges, or any other small, inside curve that butts up against a surface you don't want to change.

Small, flat files with blind-sides are great for perfecting the slots in guards... smoothen (?) the face of the file if you want to make the slot longer but not wider, and smoothen the edge if you want to make the slot wider but not longer.

Last edited:
Back