"W"s from Walla Walla

Thanks Gents. This one has been rewarding as I learned and affirmed allot and it came out betrer than planned.

If you guys follow this thread and make the same billet there may be some variances because of the drawing lengths and widths and the squaring die sizes but its a repeatable pattern. It seems to be important to know where to stop folding the billet because the feathers get thin quickly but they will expand when its drawn back out unless they are too tight.

I like the fact that if you make a big billet there is enough steel to make more than one knife because the finished billet can be sliced like bread. Great for making matched sets. I have the OKCA Bowie and Tortuga ll made from the same billet. My mini feather billet was quicker but only yielded two 4" folder blades and a possibe third blade or bolster material.

Another thing to consider is the thickness and sharpness of the chisel used to hot cut the billet into two parts. If its too thick and dull, it will drag allot of material towards the center of the blade but it its too thin and sharp it will slice the steel and not drag enough material to give the nice sweeping feathers. I finally decided it needs to be 1/8" wide for my methods. You and your shop and tools will have to develop your methods but I think this thread could get you on the right track.

Thanks for following this thread. Its been fun to say the least.

Thanks go to Roger Pinnock for ordering and purchasing this bowie. Thanks very much Roger!

Last edited:
Bruce, everyone else used up all the adjectives so I will have to revert to the '60's - that knife is groovy and psychedelic, man. Cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce, everyone else used up all the adjectives so I will have to revert to the '60's - that knife is groovy and psychedelic, man. Cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not just groovy, but "garooooovy baby", maybe even "far out, man"!

Really turned out well. The engraving on the back side of the guard is unusual, but it really suits this knife. The style has a classic gun look to it. The work on the butt is also nice, and that's not necessarily the easiest shape to work with. All that engraving fits well with your knife, which has a great shape. And the damascus is awesome!

David

Bruce, Thanks to you I know have a lot of new ideas to try out. I will be able to go back to this thread whenever I need to remember what I'm wanting to do next.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives

Blade Show Tester Table 24P

Howdy Mr. Bump.

Thought I'd drop in and introduce myself and commend you on your amazing work and efforts. I'm a mutual friend of Dana Hackney up in Monument, CO. I'm just a few miles south of Dana, down in Colorado Springs. I've been bladesmithing for about 5 years or so, mostly weekends only, so don't know if all that time counts ;). Just joined the ABS so might try for a JS rating in a couple years.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello and thank you for this great thread. The W pattern (especially if its feathered) is probably one of my favorite patterns and has been on my "list" of patterns to do and get right for some time. I've generally known "how" to get a W pattern for a bit now, but I have to say that seeing that OKCA bowie you did really inspired me to give a W pattern a try. The 45 degree squaring procedure you showed in this thread was a step I was missing and it really made a big difference. So thanks for your efforts in making these WIP threads 2thumbs . I've attached a pic the blade from my first W pattern attempt (wanted to feather it, but didn't have enough billet left. Next time though). I'm pretty pleased with it so far, especially for a first attempt at a pattern like this :D. Learned a few things doing it too, so hopefully the next ones will be a bit more "controlled" and be even better.

Anyway, just had to stop by and introduce my self and say thanks and commend you for your amazing work. I'll have to meet you in person when you get out this way, Dana mentioned you might be out in August for the PKA show (assuming you guys can get the table registration fiasco worked out :rolleyes: ).

Thanks again.

Attachments

• W Pattern Fighter Rough Ground.jpg
    W Pattern Fighter Rough Ground.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 148
Howdy Mr. Bump.

Thought I'd drop in and introduce myself and commend you on your amazing work and efforts. I'm a mutual friend of Dana Hackney up in Monument, CO. I'm just a few miles south of Dana, down in Colorado Springs. I've been bladesmithing for about 5 years or so, mostly weekends only, so don't know if all that time counts ;). Just joined the ABS so might try for a JS rating in a couple years.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello and thank you for this great thread. The W pattern (especially if its feathered) is probably one of my favorite patterns and has been on my "list" of patterns to do and get right for some time. I've generally known "how" to get a W pattern for a bit now, but I have to say that seeing that OKCA bowie you did really inspired me to give a W pattern a try. The 45 degree squaring procedure you showed in this thread was a step I was missing and it really made a big difference. So thanks for your efforts in making these WIP threads 2thumbs . I've attached a pic the blade from my first W pattern attempt (wanted to feather it, but didn't have enough billet left. Next time though). I'm pretty pleased with it so far, especially for a first attempt at a pattern like this :D. Learned a few things doing it too, so hopefully the next ones will be a bit more "controlled" and be even better.

Anyway, just had to stop by and introduce my self and say thanks and commend you for your amazing work. I'll have to meet you in person when you get out this way, Dana mentioned you might be out in August for the PKA show (assuming you guys can get the table registration fiasco worked out :rolleyes: ).

Thanks again.

Hi Graham, thanks for the intro and the praise of my work and WIP's too.

Its so cool that my thread actually helped you make this very nice "W" bowie blade. It unique to you and your tools. Next time you might work up to cleaving it down the middle for the feather.

Yes Dana and Sandy are now good friends of ours. We fell in love with them at Bladewest 2 years ago. I just got my reciept for the club dues and table rent for the PKA Denver Show today so it looks like we are in. It should be a good show. Looking forward to meeting ya.

Guys, we need to have a BIG round of applause waiting for Bruce when he gets back from Oregon. Good thing he sold his knives, because he has an armful of awards to bring home. This piece won both "Best Damascus" and "Best of Show". Way to go Bruce! :bud:

Roger

A big Thank You fellow Dogs!
I sold mostly all slipjoints that I made and saved just for this show. This show is known for collecting pocket knives and if you like slippies especially antique and collectable ones it has to be the show to go to. There are lifetime collections to see that you wont see anywhere else.

Friday was OKCA members only day and the place was nearly packed. Saturday was like the old days with huge attendance. The only thing different from the old days were not as many sales reported. Understandable considering the economy right now.

The custom market is not their main focus now but at one time it was said to be the biggest show on earth at over 500 tables plus the Antique Bowie Knife Club displaying their collections. Many of the big name makers bailed out after a heated discussion with the staff a few years ago so I didnt have the competition of the old days but still I am honored to have the the "Best of Show" knife. It also won the "Best Damascus" which was a surprise as Dave Lisch had a gorgeous mosaic damascus on his "Best Fighter" bowie.
Our own Raymond Richards won 3 awards: "Best Bowie, Hunter and Hand Forged" He got a cramp in his arm just carrying them out to the car.:D

Last edited:
Bruce, I'm guessing the knife in this thread Won Best of Show and the other thing. I was really hoping you'd already sold this knife and it was long gone come time for the show. Congratulations! Twice in a row with Best of the Show sure tells me something.

Do you recognize this fellow?

IMG_2237.JPG

Bruce, I'm guessing the knife in this thread Won Best of Show and the other thing. I was really hoping you'd already sold this knife and it was long gone come time for the show. Congratulations! Twice in a row with Best of the Show sure tells me something.

Do you recognize this fellow?

IMG_2237.JPG

Yep, thats Dave Lisch. I can see why he won best fighter knife, he puts allot of himself in his knives! :D

Here is the award winner on my table. Last year Dave Lisch won Best Damascus so this was a real surprise for me.

100_6391_edited.jpg

Bruce, You really do make a fine knife! You winning Best of Show is well deserved even if you did win it last year. You make Best of Show quality knives......

Bruce, You really do make a fine knife! You winning Best of Show is well deserved even if you did win it last year. You make Best of Show quality knives......

Much appreciated Raymond. You are the talented one for the "Best Hand Forged" "Best Hunter" and "Best Bowie" year after year. How is your arms from carrying all 3 awards? :D

Back