Knife #8 WIP - For the Lamb Boys

Nice WIP Erin. I wish I could do the kind of photography you're doing. Of course, I imagine a lot of us wish that.

On a different note, I was reading the paper on the AF Base where I work today and found out you were being a little modest about your father in law. Maybe you didn't even know the whole story but...

Check out the link guys and scroll to the top of page 5A:

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100205-018.pdf

Some of get to see these guys all the time but we still need to stop every once in a while and tell them thank you.

Thanks again Erin,
Carey

On a different note, I was reading the paper on the AF Base where I work today and found out you were being a little modest about your father in law. Maybe you didn't even know the whole story but...

Check out the link guys and scroll to the top of page 5A:

http://www.robins.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100205-018.pdf

Some of get to see these guys all the time but we still need to stop every once in a while and tell them thank you.

Thanks again Erin,
Carey

Yep... That's him.2thumbs

And, unfortunately, we have reached a point that seems to arise in every WIP that I put together... the point where I get sooo into the work that I forget to take pictures. Bottom line... the knife is done.:eek: I've even started taking glamour shots in my light box. Sorry. ;):p

So the cool thing is, you will all be able so see photos of my father-in-law's knife within the next day or so.

But what about the missing photos?... Well, I have two more knives of the same design that I will be working on shortly. I'll do my best to flesh-out this WIP with photos from the other two knives. Good plan???

Now, however, I have the opportunity to show off my light box / picture taking setup. The box is made out of white foam-core board. All the pieces connect with velcro straps so it is easy to assemble and dis-assemble. It is covered with a white sheet.

4334504021_b6cb27be9b_o.jpg

Light is provided by (2) 500-watt halogen lamps. These put out a LOT of light and a TON of heat. The light is a bit warm-toned, so I will need to do some white-balance color-correction on the photos.

The camera is my wife's Canon 5D (she is a wedding photographer). I used two lenses for photographing this knife: a Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L AND a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8. I used a tripod and set both lenses to manual focus so I could repeat the exact same framing with various exposure settings. I also use the delay timer to minimize any camera shake associated with me pushing the shutter release.

Here is a teaser of the setup.

4334504221_7f79344e05_o.jpg

Erin

Last edited:
And here it its... in photos detailed enough for you to make out all of the mistakes. Let me know what you think.

4336127414_af82bfbb52_o.jpg

4336127568_0ecaefaa7c_o.jpg

Erin

Erin,

All I can do is sit here with my mouth wide open thinking...." knife #8"???????? I think we need to keep our eye on your bro. You are off to a great start. Beautiful knife:eek:2thumbs:D

Keep it up Erin....WOW

Chris

All I can do is sit here with my mouth wide open thinking...." knife #8"???????? I think we need to keep our eye on your bro.
Chris

Knife #8 may be a bit misleading as Knife #7 consisted of five knives of the same design (7a thru 7e). So technically, Knife #8(a) is actually my twelfth knife completed. Confusing, but that's just the way I roll. :p

Erin

Knife #8 may be a bit misleading as Knife #7 consisted of five knives of the same design (7a thru 7e). So technically, Knife #8(a) is actually my twelfth knife completed. Confusing, but that's just the way I roll. :p

Erin

LOL....No matter how you look at it bro....be it #12 or #8......You have put your skills to the test and it paid off big time. I am just starting out, I am leaning more toward tactical knives....but this one just makes me want to get at making a piece of art. This came together sweet!!!!!

Erin

Amazing WIP! Thank you for taking the time and effort to let us sit on the sidelines!

Your In Laws will be so proud of these knives.

Ive spoken to 3 of the Vets Ive made knives for after they returned. For all they said the fact that the knife was with them during the deployment gives it a whole new special meaning. You have given them treasures to cherish.

Great Job!

God Bless
Mike

One question.

Would it be possible to peen or press mosaic pins?

Or would it distort the pin pattern? Just thinking if it was cut close to the guard, you might be able to swell it a bit. Ive no experiance with it, just curious.

Great knife Man and a great thing your doing!

God Bless
Mike

Would it be possible to peen or press mosaic pins?

Or would it distort the pin pattern? Just thinking if it was cut close to the guard, you might be able to swell it a bit.

Mike,
That's a good question. I thought about trying to swell/peen the mosaics but decided against it. My concern wasn't distorting the pattern, but damaging the adhesion of the epoxy filler in the pins. You must have noticed the little "ring" around them. :D Thank you macro lens... :p

While not what I would have preferred, the "ring" doesn't bother me as much as I figured that it would when the guard was first assembled.

Erin

Last edited:
I'm currently working on the second knife of these three, and have updated some of the earlier posts with shots that I missed.
  • More bevel grinding photos added to post #4.
  • Post stress-relief blade straightening AND clay application photos added to post #7.

I also decided to try something different with the hamon on this one. I'm interested to see how this one turns out.
4340434043_39c2a796c9_o.jpg

Erin

Very well done. The only thing I would suggest that I noticed right away were the mosaic pins. Someone once pointed this out to another maker and it's something I look at right away whenever I see them. Rotate them so they are identical. It's considerably more noticeable when they the design has more of a "+" shape design to them as opposed to a triangular one like you're using.

For example you can see knives with 2 mosaic pins done in the handle and one looks like this + and the other like this x because they weren't rotated in the same direction.

Other than that nitpicking, fantastic looking knife! Better than anything I'm capable of at the moment. 2thumbs

Cant wait to see the hamon on that one!!

Very well done. The only thing I would suggest that I noticed right away were the mosaic pins. Someone once pointed this out to another maker and it's something I look at right away whenever I see them. Rotate them so they are identical. It's considerably more noticeable when they the design has more of a "+" shape design to them as opposed to a triangular one like you're using.

For example you can see knives with 2 mosaic pins done in the handle and one looks like this + and the other like this x because they weren't rotated in the same direction.

Believe it or not Fletch, I rotated them exactly how I wanted them :eek:... One arrow pointing forward, one pointing back. I'd be interested to hear other opinions on this choice. Thanks.

Erin

Back