Packaging

NoahL

Hello everyone,

Out of curiosity, how do you package your work for shipping? Flat rate box with bubble wrap? Custom fitted foam? Wooden crate?

I use old laptop battery boxes for my sheaths, since they are the perfect size and already have foam that works well for them, then I print out some wrapping on 11x17 paper and laminate in on with clear packing tape :p

~Noah

I have used either flat rate boxes or other cardboard boxes with the knife and sheath wrapped in bubble wrap. I just picked up some zipper cases I may add with some of my knives. Which knives get the zipper case will depend on price.

SDS

I buy boxes from Uline and sometimes use USPS boxes. The PO will give you the boxes for free but they don't have a size that fits knives well. I use bubble wrap, foam peanuts, paper or whatever I have handly for cushioning.

I usually ship Priority Mail but found that using regular Priority Mail is cheaper than the flat rate boxes. I use a regular return address lables with my name and put nothing on the box that might identify was is in it.

We ship a few things here. Priority mail is a good deal. Get the free boxes from the post office or order them free on line. ALWAYS tape both ends shut. The glue they use is weak and prone to popping loose - especially if the box gets cold.

I buy the pink foam insulation board from Home Depot for $17 / 4x8 sheet
one sheet will last me about a dozen knives.

I use the Flat rate boxes from the PO (if you ship flat rate you must use their boxes)

my most commonly used size is the 3x12x14 box,

I cut the foam board into 12" strips, then cut a strip into 3 14" sections
trace the outline of the knife and sheath (separately, i don't ship the knife in the sheath) onto one of the sections
then take the traced section to the drill press with a 3/16 bit running 3200 RPM
follow your traced line and cutout the space for the knife / sheath.

just prior to shipping I sharpen, clean, oil/wax the knife
wrap the blade in a new clean paper towel, wrap the entire knife in clear celophane wrap (cling wrap) and the sheath in cling wrap.
sandwich the traced section with the knife and sheath between the other two blank sections and tape the whole thing.

slide that into the box, put the envelope with the invoice, certificate, brochure, and business cards (ALWAYS put some business cards in there, make it EASY for your customers to refer new buyers to you) and seal the whole thing

off to the PO

I started using the pink foam after seeing a guy on a jobsite build a ramp up some stairs to drive a construction scissor lift into a building. didn't hurt the foam at all, the key is not to leave voids in the assembly. when everything is snugly fit together the knife is COMPLETELY protected.

I use Priority boxes for EBKs, and other small knives that have kydex sheaths. For anything larger I use thin walled 3" or 4" PVC pipe. I wrap the knife in enough bubble wrap so that it must be forced into the PVC pipe. I always cut the pipe 4-6" longer than the knife, and pack the ends with wadded newspaper, and then seal with either duct tape, or in some cases wooden plugs that are screwed in place.

For me it's all about protecting the cargo. I stopped using boxes because of several instances of having knives damaged during shipping. With the PVC, the shipper can play football with it, and it will still get to it's destination safely.

I use the USPS boxes also. This week I discovered they also have a shoe box size that is not normally out on their stands. I normally ship priority and have the labels put on and then tape over the addresses with clear tape so they don't get smugged.

Head over to Steve Kelleys forum and you can see photos of his packaging of the Christmas knife I won from him pretty impressive no way that was getting damaged!!

Jay

Wooden box shipped in Flat Rate Priority.
Zippered case, wrapped in bubble wrap, INSIDE the box.
You can jump up and down on it.
IwanGeldart-1.jpg

Cottle.jpg

Playing devil's advocate here... Karl, that's a great case that I'm sure the customer will appreciate. But doesn't it kind of scream "STEAL ME!" ? Maybe putting the whole package inside a plain-jane cardboard box would be safer? Or maybe I'm just paranoid...

EDIT never mind. I re-read your post. Sorry!

James you might be right about Karls box . A little to fancy but if its insured thats ok . I like recieving the priority boxes . I wouldnt know what its like to sell a knife that I have to ship ive only shipped 4 lmao Ok I havent tryed to sell yet . I do have near 100 knives for sale though lol Most my customers knock on the door.kellyw

I don't ship em, but I have received a couple. The ones that come packed secure in dense foam with a "pocket" cut out for the knife seem the safest to me. Really nice when the foaf folds open like a book and the unit is nestled in nice and snug. Well taped box of course. 3"or 4" PVC would do it too, great idea. Could even glue the ends on and tell customer which end to cut. Always insure and get a tracking code on the box. I don't like gettem where the knife bounces around. If you hear something when you shake it, you ain't done yet IMHO. Dozier

I ship a lot through the USPS and everything gets delivery confirmation. It seems that they pay more attention if the package has something extra like that on it. Before I started doing that, things would wind up lost or damaged from time to time. I have not had one to date have a problem that had delivery confirmation on it.

James

Ide like to add a little to this when shipping to Canada . USPS has the brokerage fee included in the shipping price all other carriers DO NOT. UPS is the worst costing as much as 50 percent of the insured amount or item value. A complete rip off . Fed ex can be ok if you only declare a 50 dollar value then its like a 14 dollar brokerage fee. If I recieve an Item and it has gift checked off under 40 dollars declared I pay no extra fee. If it is made in the usa is a gift and over the allowable amount around 40 dollars then you ll pay taxes and a 5 dollars handleing fee. It must say made in USA . Thought this may help once an item is packaged to send to Canada. Oh ya Priority flat rate seems to be the best way to Canada small is 11.00 med is 24. and large is 32.00 . kellyw

Back