Simple Knife Picture Tutorial

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
This is a small write up tutorial for taking pictures of your knives.
I do not want to get to involved with building a box because there are a lot of tutorial already out there and do not want to seem like I am copying their work.

There are a few different ways to make a light box, one way is using a medium to large cardboard box
Or you can also build one using some pvc pipe.

If you use a cardboard box you will need to line the inside with something white, you can glue a thick white paper to the insides of the box.
With a cardboard box you have a few options for lighting, you can either cut 1 hole about 12’’x12’’ square in the top or cut 3 holes! 1 large in the top and one large hole on both sides. I feel with 1 on top and 1 on each side you get more of a blanket of light.

Once you have the holes cut take a white garbage bag or white sheet, cut a little larger than holes and attach to outside of box.
Then cut a hole in the front of the box just big enough for you to fit and background/base colors or materials and any prop materials like leaves, guns ect.
Now you need to have 3 lights, I like the simple clamp on metal lights. Get 3 bulbs, the compact fluorescents are nice here.
Position you lights far enough away from the box so the heat from the light don’t hurt anything but close enough so they do not cast a shadow in the box.

A pvc light box is just built by making a frame out of pvc and then wrapping it in a sheet with a small opening in the front for loading the box and taking the pics.

If you go to a Lowe’s, Menards, or Home Depot you can pic up some different flooring tiles. If you can get singles. Find some light colored or what ever you like best.

Put you base down then situate you knife and/or other pros, the way you want.

If you have a tripod for your camera set it up so the camera is pointing down at the knife, right inside or almost inside the box.

Turn off your flash, set on auto and snap a pic!!!
If you have a digital camera you can look at it, should be a nice picture of the scene with a soft with light.

What you see with your eye is close to what you will see with the auto setting and flash off.
If you are seeing a glare on the blade then you might need to try different bulbs or thicker white material over the holes.

If you have a more advanced camera like a DSLR or an advances point and shoot, you can adjust setting, although you do not have to. If you want just try a few different setting with different shutter speeds and aperture. Put them on your computer and check them out.

This is just a basic tutorial that anyone can use to take good pics of your knives.

I appreciate the tutorial. Straightforward. Should be easy to duplicate. Going to try it this week if nothing happens.
Thanks

Back