How to Antique Brass

Mike Carter

This little tutorial shows how I treat brass to give it an antique look. This method uses ammonia vapors to age the brass. The result that nice old buttery look.

Here I have a brass butt cap already shaped and sized for the knife that will receive it.

AntiqueBrass1.jpg

The antiquing process works better is the brass has some texture. I dimpled the piece with a small ball peen hammer.

AntiqueBrass2.jpg

AntiqueBrass3.jpg

I made a lid for my ammonia container from a piece of plywood. I simply drilled a hole just large enough to pass trough a piece of wire. I then bent a loop in the wire and held the piece by threading a nut onto the stud.

AntiqueBrass4.jpg

Pour about 1 cup of straight ammonia (available at any grocery store) into the container.

Warning: Follow the safety directions on the ammonia bottle and avoid breathing the fumes. Also be sure your container is relatively clean as ammonia can react violently with other chemicals.

I place the home-made lid with the brass piece attached onto the container. The idea is to suspend the brass OVER the ammonia and not to submerse it into the ammonia. This allows the vapors above the liquid to work on the brass.

AntiqueBrass5.jpg

Leave it for 12-24 hours.

AntiqueBrass6.jpg

After 12-24 hours remove the piece. You will find that it is covered with a blue/green powdery residue. Rub the brass lightly with some steel wool to remove the residue. With a textured piece like this, brushing with steel wool will polish the high spots while leaving the low areas darker for a nice contrast.

Here, I have brushed the top with steel wool and the sides are untouched to show you the difference.

AntiqueBrass7.jpg

After brushing and attaching to my knife.

AntiqueBrass8.jpg

Wow!! Very cool Mike!! Did you count the hammer blows? our buddy Mace did on his last piece:)

I wonder if you could protect the back of the cap by bolting on a piece of wood, then put it into a rock tumbler with some steel ball bearings to save all the hammering? Or even just put it in a plastic jar with some bearings and shake it for a while?

Anyhow, this looks great and I make quite a few things out of brass and have had requests for a patina instead of a polished finish and I think this method will be just the thing!

Great tip, Mike! Hope to see you at the Guild Show. My granddaughter moved to the Highlands (Cherokee Triangle) and says it's a short trip to the Seelbach.

I wonder if you could protect the back of the cap by bolting on a piece of wood, then put it into a rock tumbler with some steel ball bearings to save all the hammering? Or even just put it in a plastic jar with some bearings and shake it for a while?

I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Brass is pretty easy to hammer. Give it a shot and let us know!

I've gotten cool textures just by laying brass and N/S on a concrete surface and thumping it with a rubber mallet.

Here are some other interesting ideas for coloring brass, bronze and copper.

I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. Brass is pretty easy to hammer. Give it a shot and let us know!

I've gotten cool textures just by laying brass and N/S on a concrete surface and thumping it with a rubber mallet.

Here are some other interesting ideas for coloring brass, bronze and copper.

Thanks for the link, lots of different things to try! I'd also considered placing a brass part in a bag full of BBs and hitting it with a rubber mallet a few times to see what effect it has. (I don't have ball bearings or a ball peen hammer.)

Great tip, Mike! Hope to see you at the Guild Show.

Mike is a hard guy to pin down, I saw him at the Guild show last year and he was busy as a bee taking pictures, greeting people and generally having a good time. Go look at his site, he posted a boatload of pics and info there. I did get a minute with him though and it was worth the wait :) He's a cool guy and his love for the craft is both inspiring and infectious.

I'd also considered placing a brass part in a bag full of BBs and hitting it with a rubber mallet a few times to see what effect it has.

Only one way to find out, and it won't cost much to try. Go for it and let us know!

Last edited:
Other techniques for antiquing brass.

There are a variety of techniques for achieving that antique brass look. Ammonia is one of them. You can also use household vinegar in a similar technique. Use a vat of vinegar instead of ammonia and let the vinegar vapors tarnish the brass. Unlike ammonia, you can directly apply the vinegar to the brass.

Other techniques for antiquing brass can be found here.

Back