Fixed Blade Tutorial

Ryan Minchew

Got a few minutes before guest arrive so I'm posting this up. This is a tutorial I did on texasbowhunter.com, I checked before cross linking. It's a clean site.

This build along/tutorial was done in mind with someone only having a drill press, sandpaper, files, and a flat surface. I showed a crude way (but it works) to dovetail bolsters. It's long, but it might help someone just getting into knifemaking. Let me know what you think.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38358&highlight=knife+build

I found this tutorial shortly after I started making knives and I have to say in my opinion its one of the best on the internet.I appreciate all tutorials posted by everybody but I seem to have got the most out of this one.

Great job and im glad I finally got the chance to thank you for it since im not a member of the forum it was originally posted on.cool 1:cool:

Thanks for the lessons.2thumbs

Very great tutorial, the best I´ve seen on net. there is one thing i wonder :the last when you put the final edge on the knife ,isnt that in the tutorial? Thanks for a very fine lesson in knifemaking

Very great tutorial, the best I´ve seen on net. there is one thing i wonder :the last when you put the final edge on the knife ,isnt that in the tutorial? Thanks for a very fine lesson in knifemaking

I don't think I ever did put that in the tutorial. I use a lansky brand sharpener to put my edges on the knives. Glad ya'll liked it. Thanks Ryan

The dovetail setup on the grinder is a good idea. Easier than building a dedicated 45 degree table for a disc grinder like a lot of people do.

Good tutorial and looks like it was well received by the bow hunting guys.

Great job

Thanks Ryan,

Just plain ol' Bob, no Mister stuff needed here.

It is good to be back. I have a lot to do to get completely back but am working on it. The 103 degree temp this weekend is not going to make it fun.

Have to build another forge (blown), a new press, quench tank and then make some tongs. also plan on building an electric heat treat oven and a quench press (ideas bouncing around in my head as I type.

Wish there were a bunch of curious teenagers around that could help just for the learning experience they would get but probably have to do it all by myself. Too old and busted up to be moving I-Beam.

Won't be too long and I will be posting knives again, just hope someone has the cash to buy them.

This was the tutorial from that forum that got me into knifemaking period, I beleive he could mak it into a book add a few more pics and sell it and it would be one o the best out there.

Hey Bob I'm no teenager but let me know when you need help I'm all for learning more. I have bought everything for my heat treat oven but havent assembled it yet. still havent done anything with the forge either.
Anthony

Hey Bama,
I'm glad to hear this tutorial helped you out in the knifemaking. I've had a couple of guys ask me if I was going to make it into a book. I'll admit I thought about it, but to be honest I've gotten too much information off of the forums. That's how I learned to make knives so i made that to kind of pay it back.
The folder tutorial isn't quiet finished should be in the next few weeks. It's up in the custom knife section. Thanks and let me know if I can help.

I like that you made it so even someone with out the grinders and stuff could follow along and build a knife with just files and simple tools. I like seeing other folks techniques and tricks. Great job yea! Oh and if you are ever around the Frisco area, drop by for a cup of coffee.

Back