Denim Micarta

I have an old green canvas tarp that should make quiet a few scales. Maybe I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks for the link.
Mike

finished up a quick prototype run earlier today, waiting until the morning to see how it turns out(no cure time listed on the box)

Me and Cliff Fendley have been experimenting with making our own Micarta for a couple of years. We call our material LM105 after we got a letter from the people who own the trademarked name "Micarta". I put a pretty extensive tutorial about how we make it and some of the lessons we learned on Cliff's website at http://www.fendleyknives.com/LM105.htm.

I kinda followed this tutorial, and ended up with a gunstock!
stock001.jpg

stock004.jpg

WOW that is absolutely awesome, that stock will never warp or pull no matter what the weather throw at it. For what rifle did you make that?

WOW that is absolutely awesome, that stock will never warp or pull no matter what the weather throw at it. For what rifle did you make that?

CZ .17 HMR
I did this over a year ago, and still not done. I've had a very buisy summer.
It took 10 yards of denim, and 1 1/4 gallons of epoxi resin. It was alot of work,
but turned out very nice

I used that same tutorial a long while back to make several slabs of material. I even cut it up and turned pens on a lathe with it. Works like wood !

Dave

denim-micarta2.jpg

I think I need to get out all of the old pairs of jeans that don't fit me anymore and make me some denimicarta....

I had an issue with it hardening up too quick and I called Bondo. They told me to put half the amount of hardener and it worked well. I was making 4"x12" slabs that were .75 " thick. I have used it for knife handles and Pens. You can do canvas ( or any material really) same way. I was going to do some red white and blue but havent gotten around to it.

Dave

Back