Pokechoppa!

Curt Wommack

Pokechoppa! << UPDATED >>

The last time I smoked some barbecue I had a heck of a time chopping it. My largest kitchen knife just didn't give me the power I needed, so I set out to make my own. Here's what I came up with. It's heavy like a cleaver but designed to do some slicing as well.

Don't know how it will work but I have 3 pork butts waiting for me in Carolina that are going to get the R&D treatment this weekend. Time for some field testing!!

pokechoppa-01.jpg

pokechoppa-02.jpg

Pokechoppa!

Blade length: 7.625"
Overall Length: 12.5"
Steel: CPM D2, .187" spine, fully flat ground with a nice distal taper and a convex edge
Finish: satin - hand rubbed to 1200 and back to 600
Handles: Carbon Fiber with red & black G10 liners
Pins & Tubes: Stainless

The case is black leather with red stitching and lined with lambskin.

Here are some more images of it "in action" It performed perfectly and I found that it makes a good serving tool as well. Check it out!

pokechoppa_test-01.jpg

pokechoppa_test-02.jpg

pokechoppa_test-03.jpg

pokechoppa_test-04.jpg

pokechoppa_test-05.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a mighty fine pork choppin blade to me. Great looking work! Let us know how it performs.

I love it and I bet it works great. That CPMD2 oughta hold its edge for about 500 pork butts. Be sure to post some pics of the R&D session. By the way my nickname is PORKCHOP. Got it tagged on me at a deer camp when I was about 14, hunted all day and came back to camp starving and ate pork chop jambalaya till I was sick. The old man who cooked it still laughs about it every time I see him.:D

By the way, how far from the spine to the edge?

Curt,

You need to put pics of this knife at work in the " Worlds Best
knives Being Used Picture Thread" 2thumbs

Good looking knife and pork.

Send me some of that pork butt and I'll tell you if the chopper is working right or not. Great looking blade, Curt, kind of a cross between a Santoku and a Cleaver. Denny

kind of a cross between a Santoku and a Cleaver.

You are correct, sir! That's exactly my inspiration.

You are also too late to get in on the BBQ. It didn't make it to Sunday. Got another in the freezer though. Some future product testing is on the horizon.

Last edited:
Back