Please Put All Tutorial Requests Here

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
This thread is for everyone to post up what they would like to see for tutorials.
Not all will get done but Its a god place to start!!

James, I can work that into a video sometime this week.
Are you just looking for a deburring champfer? for the hole that get covered?
I debur all my holes with a countersink.

Thanks for making this a sticky!!

Yup, I just want to relieve the pin-holes/lightening holes in the tang to prevent possible stress-points and provide a little more room for epoxy and when I peen my pins. I recently bought a counter-sink bit for this purpose but haven't used it yet.

To date, I've just made sure my holes are big enough/pins or tubes are sanded down enough to allow a lil clearance (my pins don't fall into the hole, but can be pushed in with finger pressure or a gentle tap with a mallet), and cut shallow grooves in my pins/tubes to make room for the epoxy to "grab onto". I peen my pins gently so they tighten up.

So far, so good. But I'd like to have that extra step that lets me sleep better at night.

Yeah, I'm paranoid I guess. :eek:

I would like to see how you make a good well fitting and properly shaped Nickel Silver guard for a drop point hunter. Sonething similar to what is on a Loveless knife.

I know this may sound basic, but perfect practice makes perfect and I want to make sure my practice is correct. I'd like to see a tutorial on the filing to follow up on the plunge cut tutorial. To be specific, I would like to see how the draw filing is done from the plunge to bring thebevel even with the plunge depth. Am I explaining this well?? Anyway that's my suggestion.

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't have an order for the fish on the books right now, but will put together a WIP next time I do the fish. It's pretty easy, I do all of it with a triangle file.

I've been brain-storming and I think I know how you do it. Time will tell if I'm on the right track.

Personally, I think a tutorial on mating non-flat surfaces of handle materials (think of some Scandinavian knives with stick tangs that have a piece of antler that has a curved surface mated to a matching birch surface. It's hard to explain, so here's an example:

102957-438x.jpg

Noah, if I understand you correctly, the answer to your question is likely to be similar to mine. I want to know how to fit the slab material to a curved bolster surface like on this knife:
IMG_0271.jpg

The engraving is AWESOME, but I'm more interested in matching the curves between the wood and the bolster.

I would like to see how you make a good well fitting and properly shaped Nickel Silver guard for a drop point hunter. Sonething similar to what is on a Loveless knife.

+1 but W/O solder just show us how to do a proper fitting surface to surface micro seam.
2thumbs

I know this may sound basic, but perfect practice makes perfect and I want to make sure my practice is correct. I'd like to see a tutorial on the filing to follow up on the plunge cut tutorial. To be specific, I would like to see how the draw filing is done from the plunge to bring the bevel even with the plunge depth. Am I explaining this well?? Anyway that's my suggestion.

Thanks,

Jeff

+1 Interested in this:D.

Noah, if I understand you correctly, the answer to your question is likely to be similar to mine. I want to know how to fit the slab material to a curved bolster surface like on this knife:
IMG_0271.jpg

The engraving is AWESOME, but I'm more interested in matching the curves between the wood and the bolster.

I think that would be a very interesting 1 as well! 2thumbs :bud:

Back