Swayback Wharncliffe How To

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
This is how I make a one of a kind slipjoint but I also made some 416 ss templates just in case I want to make another one some day I can use them for a pattern.

It starts with a drawing of the liners on plain paper. Next I cut a clear piece of mylar and pin it to a cork board where the pivot goes. Mylar is nice because it can be drawn on with a pencil and erased a hundred times until I like the blade. Be sure to draw the spring on the paper too. The handle is in pencil too so it can be changed here and there too if needed.

With the mylar blade drawn it can be pivoted open and closed. Pay close attention to the tang. Actually 99% of making a slipjoint is all about the tang. If the tang is wrong nothing works believe me. The stops are everything and make the differance if the top of the knife is flush in open, half stop and closed position. Its all in the tang. A half stop isnt even needed but I like them, some people dont.

When it looks good on paper and mylar simply photocopy the parts, cut the blade, spring and liner out and glue them to the 416 stainless sheet. I use .040" for most all liners. bandsaw out the parts and grind to the lines. Leave them a little oversized and file them for a closer fit. I have the holes marked and drilled too.

I made this dial indicator fixture and it is neccesary to adjust the tang for the flush fit on top. I use a 3/32" hole and hardened pins. Mount the liners and drill the aluminum fixture for the liners and pin them to the instument. The temperary sheet metal blade and spring too. Dont worry about the pre-bend in the spring yet, we will do that later.

Rotate the template blade and file away material that isnt needed until the blade, spring and liner all work together. The tang needs to be very close to perfect in all three positions and the tip needs to be where it belongs. If you make a perfect template you can duplicate it with a perfect blade so it pays to work on the stainless template until it works. The dial indicator needs to be at "zero" in all three positions so start with the blade open first and zero the needle. Make sure the overall profile looks good and matches the original drawing otherwise the tip is too high or too low. trim the spring tip and the tang stop now.

Next rotate the blade to the half stop and shorten the tang until you get about .010" more than zero and finally close the blade. The dial indicator needs to also be higher than zero. Really hard for me to explain but when the time comes you will see why its so important for the half stop and the closed positions both to have a higher reading than zero.

I'm hoping these pictures clear up some questions.

100_7132_edited.jpg

100_7134_edited.jpg

100_7136_edited.jpg

100_7138_edited.jpg

100_7140_edited.jpg

100_7139_edited.jpg

100_7141_edited.jpg

100_7142_edited.jpg

100_7143_edited.jpg

100_7144_edited.jpg

100_7148_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Oh Yeah, Slippie WIP ! F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C

I apologize for asking a question I know you've answered before but I can't remember where I saw it :eek:

I'm wondering what brand and # of teeth per inch you use on your bandsaw.

I snapped mine and gotta order a new one. I'm thinking a Lenox Bi-metal 10-14 combo may be the ticket but not sure if this is gonna be too rough and break the teeth if trying to cut thinner stock for liners and such.

Thanks alot, Josh

Interesting fixture Bruce.

I assume that you have a removable insert that the rear two pins locate into so that you don't need to make a new fixture every time?

Thank you for doing this for us, Bruce. If KD ever has a 'Man of the Year' award you are a shoe in. Denny

Oh Yeah, Slippie WIP ! F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C

I apologize for asking a question I know you've answered before but I can't remember where I saw it :eek:

I'm wondering what brand and # of teeth per inch you use on your bandsaw.

I snapped mine and gotta order a new one. I'm thinking a Lenox Bi-metal 10-14 combo may be the ticket but not sure if this is gonna be too rough and break the teeth if trying to cut thinner stock for liners and such.

Thanks alot, Josh

I use a 10-14 for everything. Just go slow on thin liner material. Thin titanium will rip all the teeth off most all blades. Yes the Lenox Diemaster II blades are good. Thats what I use anyway.

Last edited:
Interesting fixture Bruce.

I assume that you have a removable insert that the rear two pins locate into so that you don't need to make a new fixture every time?

Hi Stew,
This fixture always uses the same pivot because of where the dial indicator is located but the center pin locates on a adjustable sliding/clamping piece. A hole may need to be drilled in the fixtures sliding piece for the 3rd pin. I show that hole being drilled here above.

Yes Bruce, Cash is King. Just send small packets of unmarked bills to all the admins (well, me and Tracy) and we will work on that award.

Seriously, I have been waiting anxiously for this WIP thread. Good job.

Steve

Hey Bruce, this is going to be a great WIP. It just gave me the urge to build my first slippie. Please don't miss any steps or I will get lost :)

Larry

When the tang is very close to right the profile needs to be touched up for free flowing lines. This one is looking good but I think the blade could close deeper to help make a narrower overall closed knife. This means the blades edge will be changed just a little at the closed position stop known as the "kick". The kick can be ground down a few thousands and thus will drop the blade tip deeper into the handle. I'll try to get a picture of that soon so its clear what I'm talking about. Grinding the kick does affect the tang. Dont grind it too much or it will drop below zero and the other two tang positions will need to be ground accordingly. It pays to spend allot of time understanding and adjusting the tang for the all important "dead flush at all three positions" but the tip also needs to be in the correct place when its closed. Be careful the blades edge doesnt touch the center pin swell on the back spring which is easy to do and gives a false stop reading on the dial indicator.

Here is the template for the blade with the tang and profile tuned up close enough to be an accurate template. I have the paper photocopy glued to the blade steel (feather damascus) and retrace the profile from the 416 template. Simply drill the pivot and pin it together and cut out the profile on the bandsaw. It can be cut out very close to the lines but dont touch the lines as this blade will need to be hand filed, heat treated and ground with much care for the final fit. We still need to drill the 3/16" hole for the bushing before heat treat.

More, much more to come. Thanks for showing up guys. I hope this goes well as I always worry and never fall in love with a knife until I'm sure everything will work out. Lets work at this one and see what happens. I think its going to be a cool slipjoint.

100_7147_edited-1.jpg

100_7145_edited.jpg

100_7146_edited.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, next question. :D

I seem to remember that the tang depth at it's thinnest should be at least 1.5 x the width of the tang. Do you find that holds true?

Ok, next question. :D

I seem to remember that the tang depth at it's thinnest should be at least 1.5 x the width of the tang. Do you find that holds true?

Stew, I'm sorry I dont know the answer to this question. Maybe rephrase it or give me a diagram?

Stew, I'm sorry I dont know the answer to this question. Maybe rephrase it or give me a diagram?

:D (I realise that I wrote tang before where I should have written spring!)

Ok, so if you're using 2mm stock, the spring can be no thinner than 3mm when looking at it from the side (like on your paper sketch)

:D (I realise that I wrote tang before where I should have written spring!)

Ok, so if you're using 2mm stock, the spring can be no thinner than 3mm when looking at it from the side (like on your paper sketch)

You may be right so the spring will be strong enough to give the "talk" that makes a good slipjoint. I havent read that ratio before. It needs to be wide enough to be too strong at this stage and we can narrow it later after heat treating and upon final adjustment. I dont like a nail breaker knife but a wimpy one is not good either, or safe to use.

You can learn allot from taking apart a folder that you like and copying it exact. This tutorial is for a start from scratch one of a kind custom.

Back