vacuum/pressure vessel for stabilizing wood

Boatbuilder

Here is a vessel I am building for stabilizing wood for knife handles. It should be ready tomorrow.

Jim

I will put wood into 6" vessel and pull vacuum for couple days(???). I will then use the vacuum to suck my stabilizer solution into the vessel. I will again pull vacuum for couple days(???). Then I will shut the vacuum and put about 150 lbs of pressure into the vessel and leave that for a few days.

This is all experimental so I am not sure how much time is required on each step. If anyone has any more info on this subject please reply.

Thanks

Jim

Im not sure what one of those are supposed to look like but that sure looks cool.:D Looks like you know what your doing.
Are you going to be selling stabilized wood or just making for yourself?

Very nice, I was looking at it with my phone earlier. Was wondering if the second cylinder was for the vacuum. That is part of what I was trying to say.

Hey Jim that looks awsome.Did you have a set of plans to do that build? I sure would love to be able to build one for myself.I wouldn't be able to do one right now,but I would like to start getting the material together.
Thanks for any help.

God bless,Keith

The smaller vessel is just there to tie my vacuum pump into. Then I ran another suction line to the bigger vessel. (here the wood and chemical solution will be). This way I wont be pulling any solution into the pump.

Great set up. I'm researching this myself & that's how I stumbled on this topic.

Nice build there! Do ya think that flange is heavy duty enough. Just kiddin. I would guess that if you pulled a vacuum in it (with no leaks) and the guage stops moving, the stabilizing fluid would be completely absorbed into whatever was in there.

How do you avoid having a vessel full of hard material with chunks of wood in it? Wouldn't the stabilizer set up after a day or so (inside the vessel)?

The usual proceedure is to pull a vacuum for a day or so, flood the cylinder without breaking vacuum, and then pressurize the cylinder to push the stabilizer into the wood.

George

The stabilizer does not catalize (harden) until you heat it up to 200 deg F. Once I am done the Vacuum/pressure on the wood, I take the wood out and wrap in tin foil. I then put it in a toaster oven for 1-2 hours at 210 deg f. When I take it out it is hard.

Keep the info comin', please.

Not that it's something I plan on doing myself, I'm just curious as all get out about it. :3:

:biggrin:

Back