Knife finishes and coatings

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I got an idea for a thread in the tutorial section!!

I was wondering if you all could send me pics and descriptions of any knife finishes you know of or do.

I am looking for anything from mirror, 400 grit, bead blasted, tumbled, blued, and even painted. Anything that can be done to a knife!!!!

I am trying to get a big list of the different finishes on blade with pictures and a description of each.

you can either pm me, post here or email me at bigern26@gmail.com

Thanks for any help

ErnDOG 2thumbs

Hi Ern,

We can start a "Knife Finish" thread in the tutorial section and folks can post directly there if they wish.

How about that?

BC

My friend Jim at http://www.jimsgunsupply.com/ does a great DuraCoat job. He can coat about anything. He did my first run of my Assault 5.5 fixed blades in combat grey. Holding up great.

Attachments

• pictures 005.jpg
    pictures 005.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 217
  • pictures 004.jpg
    pictures 004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 185
  • pictures 007.jpg
    pictures 007.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 190
  • pictures 018.jpg
    pictures 018.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 155
  • pictures 020.jpg
    pictures 020.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 142
Here's a VERY early knife of mine that I finished with a horseradish mustard patina. This blade is O1, and after I heat treated and finished grinding it, I cleaned the blade well, and then applied the mustard. I used my finger tip, dipping my finger into a pile of mustard and then dabbing it onto the blade. I covered the entire blade uniformly, overlapping the mustard dabs until it was all covered. Then I hung it up on a wire and left it overnight. In the morning, I washed the mustard off, and scrubbed the knife with WD40 and 0000 steel wool.

Here's the results:

IMG_3162.jpg

--nathan

Here are two different finishes on the same knife. I was playing around with them and the knife to see what worked well.
The first is Cera-Kote. It is similar to duracoat and gunkote, but it is much more durable, though the color selection is not as broad. I have used both duracoat and cerakote on knives and guns, they both work very well when applied properly.
HPIM0279.jpg

This is the same knife with a blasted finish. I really like the way it shows the differential quench.
104_1115.jpg

Sean

Edit: Thought I would throw this in. Had a guy who wanted this one done for his wife. The gun is a cheap FEG .32, but he wanted purple and orange her favorite colors.
HPIM0157.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck Burrows uses an antiquing technique to give carbon steel blades a used, made in the 1800's look. He refers to it as the blue-bleach-boil method.

Once you have the blade HT and finished, ready for handle installation, coat the blade in Birchwood Casey Superblue with 0000 steel wool.

Dip the blade in household bleach either outside or in a well ventilated area for 5-7 minutes. The longer the soak, the more corrosion will take place. Blade will rust before your eyes.

Remove the blade, wipe it down, and immediately place in boiling distilled water for a few minutes to neutralize.

Remove from the boiling water, dry, oil the blade, and install handles.

That's the process I used a while back on this Nessmuk:

DSCN0741.jpg

Browned O1 using Laurel Mt. Forge browning solution.
patchknife.jpg

My "hunter gray" finish, Ferric Chloride acid etch on D2, clean up with baking soda.
greengray.jpg

Simply sandblasted.
stainlessmicartabolo.jpg

Any more pics of coatings or different finishes????

I think I might try the mustard finish on a blade I am working on now!!

Does the Ferric Chloride acid turn the metal grey all by itself?

I'm really looking forward to playing with some patina types as I have three blades ready for some lovin' right after the HT is done. If I could get a uniform, battleship-grey color without parkerizing, I'm all in!

Good Idea Ernie I will add what I can for polished finish. Most people go to the buffer and I do as well but structured abrasive belts up to 3000 give off a polish like no buffer and not nearly as dangeous. You can even run some compound on the belt the white rouge is the best ive used.

Hi Ernie,

I am new on here, but figured I would help out your post and show what I do. I offer a satin finish and this patina and the patina outsells the satin by about 10 to 1. Hopefully I can figure out the pic posting thing...

ConquestMkV-Patina.jpg

Hi Ernie,

I am new on here, but figured I would help out your post and show what I do. I offer a satin finish and this patina and the patina outsells the satin by about 10 to 1. Hopefully I can figure out the pic posting thing...

ConquestMkV-Patina.jpg

That looks awesome! how do you accomplish that?

Bottom hollow grind and false edge up top are bead blasted, the flat upper portion is surface ground .. D2.

fb1.jpg

Nice thread. I will test Chuck Burrows method on a frontierknife.
Here are some of mine.
Blasted:
Smttingar.gif

Polished i grind to 600 grit and then polish with G300.
scandi1.jpg

Black Duracoat.
tanto.jpg

And the one i like the most i think. Just polish the forged surface. I use a soft wheel from i think 3M.
Bild-002.gif

Last edited:
Back