Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filing Jig

Filing Jig

Filing Jig and the 1 brick forge I'm working on.

Attached Images Attached Images

How does the filing jig work. I've seen the ones of angle Iron but not one like this. Thanks

I really tried to write how this would work but a picture is worth a thousand words or in this case a video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9iNDRwwBQQ

I still need to add hardware, and I want to come up with some kind of roller for the plunge line stop bolt so the plunge doesn't move as I file the blade bevel. Check out the video it is very informative. I had most of the stuff laying around except for the file. So it is gonna cost about $15 complete with the file.

Hope this isn't against the rules? If it is please remove the link.
    Last edited by Gliden07; 05-29-2017 at 06:55 PM.

This is fantastic! Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kwzito View Post
    This is fantastic! Thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You got it!! I am going to put the finishing touches on mine tonight!!

20170530_192904.jpg20170530_192858.jpg20170530_192858.jpg

Here is my finished filing jig. All I need to do is prepare the File. This consists of rounding off the edge of the file to prevent a square plunge line. I taped the file as is to the rod just to try. It works very good beautiful plunge!! The second pic is a spacer I put on the 1/4 20 screw so the file rolls instead of digging into the screw and changing where the plunge line starts.

Looks good, I built one like that and made some knives with it. I like the idea of the spacer.
    pressonknives@gmail
    Instagram @pressonknives

lets see those plunge lines! thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opaul View Post
    lets see those plunge lines! thanks
    I will on the next knife. I tried it out on a piece of mild steel angle iron. Next one I will post picks of! Gonna do a hunting knife about 10 inches or so. Similar drop point with at least one finger groove and Red Oak scales with brass pins.

I am a wanna be and have made a jig and I am currently working on a knife. Great idea with the rollers. What about angle? I've read a ton about how the bevel angle, there's a lot of opinions on either side of that topic. Do any of you that use this guide method worry abou angle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast