Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife 2 - The Malibu Skinner - WIP

Kwzito, everyone here is right about the mirror polishing, if I were you I would do satin finishes until you get more knife time under your belt.
    I do a lot of mirror polishing and it can give you fits even on the best day. I wet sand my blades down to 1500, but even on a good clean steel like CPM-154 you can think your almost there with hours of sanding and buffing and then finding something in the blade, dirt or some kind of inclusion....then it's back to sanding, and generally not where you left off at 1500. even for experienced knife makers mirror polishes can be time consuming and tortuous. also if your grinds aren't perfect they will stand out to the critical eye.
    Steve Miller
    Voting member Knifemakers guild since 1997
    Founding member Florida Knifemakers Association 2003
    http://millerknives.com

Blue lives matter

Make America Great Again !

Quote Originally Posted by bladegrinder View Post
    Kwzito, everyone here is right about the mirror polishing, if I were you I would do satin finishes until you get more knife time under your belt.
    I do a lot of mirror polishing and it can give you fits even on the best day. I wet sand my blades down to 1500, but even on a good clean steel like CPM-154 you can think your almost there with hours of sanding and buffing and then finding something in the blade, dirt or some kind of inclusion....then it's back to sanding, and generally not where you left off at 1500. even for experienced knife makers mirror polishes can be time consuming and tortuous. also if your grinds aren't perfect they will stand out to the critical eye.
    I will definitely follow your advice. It really is a waste of time in my case. Honestly, my plan was to play with the buffing wheel and then hit it with 220 right before I give it to him. I haven't even heat treated yet. I thought the deadline on this knife was Fathers Day, but he won't be in town until Sunday. I also wanted to experiment to see how deep of a scratch could be buffed out. As far as me actually finishing one off in mirror fashion, I'm not ready for that. I've started to realize that, as you said, even a perfect mirror shine will look fonky with not perfect lines.

Once I heat treat, I will try to sand correctly to 600 grit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your finished with grinding, hand sand it down to 400 before you heat treat, any scratches after heat treat are going to give you a really hard time.
    Steve Miller
    Voting member Knifemakers guild since 1997
    Founding member Florida Knifemakers Association 2003
    http://millerknives.com

Blue lives matter

Make America Great Again !

Quote Originally Posted by bladegrinder View Post
    If your finished with grinding, hand sand it down to 400 before you heat treat, any scratches after heat treat are going to give you a really hard time.
    10-4 ... thank you, sir!

Booth 34J next year, fellas. Lol. Handle is so ugly smh

holy schnikies! that looks FANTASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post

Can't tell you how proud that makes me to read that. Really. Thank you very much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post

I bet you zoomed in on it too lol... I hope so! Lol

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast