Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: Knife shaped steel. My first knife!

Knife shaped steel. My first knife!

I was going to wait and get more work done on this First Project but what the heck! Its a small blade about 6" long made from 1/8"x 1"- 01 tool steel, Black Micarta scales. Since taking these pics I have done some more sanding, reshaped the front of the scales to match the plunge line and changed the pins over to 1/4" SS steel. I figure I'm about halfway done? Need to finish sand, blade, harden, temper etc... etc... ok 1/3 done!! I filed all this by hand and think I will make a file jig for my next project to help with the plunge. This has really been a lot of fun and I want to finish it but time is at a premium right now. Any comments from you guys in the know would be helpful. Thanks!!

Attached Images Attached Images

First welcome to KD. I always like seeing new guys and their first attempts. So keep posting up your progress. It looks like you are off to a very good start.

Second, being your first knife, I am worried about your outcome. Reading your post, I think you may be mixing up some of the steps. You typed "Need to finish sand, blade, harden, temper etc... ". Don't follow these steps, in that order, you will be vastly disappointed.

1. Pre-shape and initial bevel. It looks like this may be completed. You do not need to finish sand at this point. Just get it down to 150/220 grit, with no major scratches or flaws. Make sure all of your pin holes are completed while the steel is still in a softened state. Again, it looks like you may already be there.
    2. Heat treat (harden) - After this step your blade will be a mess. Blackened goo everywhere.
    3. Temper - Bring the knife back into a softer state. There is tons of information on heat treat/temper on the internet for o1 tool steel.
    4. Finish sand - Now you can get that blade looking it's very best.
    5. Complete the handle - And then get the handle looking it's very best.

I simplified the process but you get the point. It is like a recipe, you need to complete it in a specific order . . .

Good luck!

DeMo

Thank you for the kind words and help! I'm getting close to the heat treat gonna use my torch with a Roseburg tip to heat it and I have an old toaster oven for the temper. I need to go down a couple grits to get to the 220. Can't wait to finish this one and start the next!!

Well I cannot help you with the O1. I have never used it before. But, on the steps necessary, I will do my best to assist.

From your last post, "Can't wait to finish this one and start the next!!" . Relax, enjoy, learn and slow down.

Do the best that you can on this one - before hopping into the next one. I struggle with this concept. I get about 1/2 done with a knife and I'm already thinking ahead to the next one, and the next one, and the next one. Or I see some new handle material and start thinking I could make a really cool knife out of that stuff.

When I start thinking like this, I make mistakes. My mind wanders. I lose focus. You need to fight the urge to move forward at a rate faster than you can stay focused.

Relax, enjoy, learn, slow down.

Your project looks good so far. Keep posting pictures.

DeMo

Listen to EVERYTHING DeMo says.... he is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk