Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I WILL completely finish this one!

You know what.... the only thing I have is time. And I'm not afraid to fail. My first one will have a guard! And it won't look too bad.... lol. I've got all the help I need, right, Dogs? Let's get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well...you are super positive. So if you don't mind a few high speed crashes...do the more complex knives...lol. Doing simple knives lets you focus fewer variables giving you a nicer overall result. For many of us making a very clean knife is more encouraging than doing a bunch of different disciplines with so-so results. This stuff can get in your head but if you know you won't get discouraged and quit....Rock N roll!
    Thanks,
    Smallshop (AKA Ted Hauser)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God puts the iron in the ground and the highlights in the wood....it's His stuff, we just get to work with it....make it nice.

I WILL completely finish this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Smallshop View Post
    Well...you are super positive. So if you don't mind a few high speed crashes...do the more complex knives...lol. Doing simple knives lets you focus fewer variables giving you a nicer overall result. For many of us making a very clean knife is more encouraging than doing a bunch of different disciplines with so-so results. This stuff can get in your head but if you know you won't get discouraged and quit....Rock N roll!
    Don't get me wrong .... i know I should be doing an easier project for many reasons, and believe me, I wish I could walk away from this guard deal, and more than likely will. I think I need to give it one more go, though, as the knife and guard were just sitting there staring at me.

As far as my positive attitude is concerned, I guess you can say that learning is my goal. So I'm good. But I do agree with everything you said in your post and I will more than likely go in that direction. Nothing motivates one more than positive results... well, besides the unquenchable lust for knowledge.

Edit: plus time don't mean nuthin to a hog

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post

Try something very simple, like this. This was a design I came up with, based on several other knives I'd seen.

Beautiful knife John. What is the handle material?
    Ty Adams
    Instagram @tyadamsknives

By the way what is the overall quality of the pieces in this pic... is one piece better than the other. I ask because I have no idea what ppl consider desirable

Quote Originally Posted by Kwzito View Post
    You know what.... the only thing I have is time. And I'm not afraid to fail. My first one will have a guard! And it won't look too bad.... lol. I've got all the help I need, right, Dogs? Let's get it.

I hope you stick with it and turn out a nice knife with a guard, I'm curious, I've heard that expression " let's get it", I'm kind of old, what does that refer too?
    Steve Miller
    Voting member Knifemakers guild since 1997
    Founding member Florida Knifemakers Association 2003
    http://millerknives.com

Blue lives matter

Make America Great Again !

Quote Originally Posted by bladegrinder View Post
    I hope you stick with it and turn out a nice knife with a guard, I'm curious, I've heard that expression " let's get it", I'm kind of old, what does that refer too?

Lol...
    Let's get the job done! At least that's what I meant.... who knows nowadays.

You certainly have a lot of drive, and I believe it takes a lot to make knives. the other thing it takes is patience, be careful not to get ahead of yourself, that makes making mistakes a lot easier.
    Steve Miller
    Voting member Knifemakers guild since 1997
    Founding member Florida Knifemakers Association 2003
    http://millerknives.com

Blue lives matter

Make America Great Again !

Quote Originally Posted by DeMo View Post
    This stuff is so much fun. I'm completely nuts about making a knife. Please advise as to the guard/no guard situation.

I think John just wants you to be successful on your next attempt. Me too. You gave it a good effort. You will eventually get a knife finished. You were going along fairly well with the last one.

If you want to make one with a guard - then - make one with a guard. Just understand, that the more complicated the knife, the more problems that can be discovered. A more simpler knife should be simpler to finish. In theory at least.

By all means, make the knife that you want to make. Draw your inspiration from within...then let it out. Whatever it is.

DeMo
    Yes, that's all I was trying to say. Everyone needs a win now and then to keep the confidence up when things aren't going your way. But certainly- If you're not running out of steam then by all means go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Adams View Post
    Beautiful knife John. What is the handle material?

Thank you, Ty. That was a block of Aspen. I've yet to find another like it. Most Aspen I run across looks like a 2x4.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast