Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I WILL completely finish this one!

I WILL completely finish this one!

I will take my time. This, no matter how microscopic or stupid looking it may become, WILL be my first COMPLETE knife. I will also not start another till this one is finished. Bam! I said it in ink.

Ok ... so now that I've sworn my life away to completing a knife....

I found a template for an interpretation of an "original" Loveless DPH. I spent the day cutting out the pattern and drilling the holes. I also started on the blade a bit. The lines on the top are indicating where the guard is supposed to go. I have no idea what a choil is but I was told that Loveless usually didn't use one. So I took my best guess as to what they were talking about and modded the design to be choil free. I know I should've asked first lol as I very well may have created a super choil. Tomorrow I plan to thin and taper tang and finish blade area with sand paper.

A Note on the Design: I figured, hopefully correctly, that I should stick to a template as much as possible in an attempt to minimize room for error.

Please remember that I have no feelings when it comes to critique and criticism. Lay it on me. I want to make a beautiful, complete knife. Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man, you've got the right idea in buckling up your chinstrap to complete a knife start to finish! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Btw, here's a great summary of choils for you... from Murray Carters 101 Knife Designs. There are two types of choils; Type 1 is a small semi-circle void where the cutting portion of the blade starts, and Type 2 choils are the gap between the handle and the blade heel on a wide bladed knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Strong View Post
    Hey man, you've got the right idea in buckling up your chinstrap to complete a knife start to finish! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Btw, here's a great summary of choils for you... from Murray Carters 101 Knife Designs. There are two types of choils; Type 1 is a small semi-circle void where the cutting portion of the blade starts, and Type 2 choils are the gap between the handle and the blade heel on a wide bladed knife.

Ah lol!!! Now I see. So I did make it choil free... but it was by accident haha. I thought the choil had something to do with where the hollow grind started from top down. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna check out that carter book too. Looks like it has some nice explanations.

Here are some updated pics. The knife is pretty much the same, but I did clean it up a bit with sand paper and files.

To me The handle looks huge, but I guess I have to trust Loveless on this one.

Y'all please point out anything that I need to fix or adjust or whatever.

Hardened and tempered, descaled lol, and I guess ready for next step??? Please advise. I'm hoping that John Wilson didn't quit making knives because I'm so aggravating lol. Anyway, the knife "became" very thin because I hit the blade with a file and had to hand sand a huge amount of material to remove the scratch. Amazing how that one slip cost a TON of time and the knife will not be what I wanted it to be..... but.... who cares... I think it will be way cooler to have an ultra light skinner. So I thought awesome... I'll just Swiss cheese the tang for balance .... BAM... there it is! Then I remembered that the only thing I'm actually "good at" when it comes to knife making.... is.... drumroll.... hardening the @&$? outta D2 steel baby!!! It's as hard the lips of the wood pecker. Lesson 1: if I would have taken my time, and thought about what I wanted the knife to be, I'd be happy not sad lol. So now I'm thinking about what I want to do next. Hung up ... high centered.

LAWD HAVE MERCY ... why nobody talked to me about sand papering post hardening?!? I put all my knife making stuff at the road. lol I'm done.

Seriously though, every day I spend doing this stuff I end the day realizing how INCREDIBLY careful and meticulous you all are... not to mention skilled, creative, inventive, patient, ... It's really impressive! It's so weird that I stumbled into this world. Even though I grew up around knives and blade smiths I was really too young to know what was going on. Hmm... funny how that works.

Come on don't quit now man, at the very least finish this knife so you can experience the most incredibly satisfying, mind blowing sense of pride and accomplishment that comes from completing your first real knife

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Strong View Post
    Come on don't quit now man, at the very least finish this knife so you can experience the most incredibly satisfying, mind blowing sense of pride and accomplishment that comes from completing your first real knife

Oh no don't worry.... I'm not going anywhere. I've truly found another love of my life. I'm here to stay, but we cajuns joke a lot. I'm actually sanding on this bad boy now. do y'all think that the wood in the pic is nice looking.... although I'm nowhere near ready to do the handle part.

I also have this piece which I think is nice too.

This one is looking great! Yeah, man... sanding after heat treat is some serious work, isn't it? The only thing you want to have to hand sand are previous grit lines. Hand sanding out a gouge or dips and waves feels like it takes two years.

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
    This one is looking great! Yeah, man... sanding after heat treat is some serious work, isn't it? The only thing you want to have to hand sand are previous grit lines. Hand sanding out a gouge or dips and waves feels like it takes two years.
    There he is! Thanks, John!

Ok so I cleaned up the blade some more, and reshaped it a bit. I'm fairly happy with the look now. I also chopped halfway through a 2 by 4 with no deformation on the edge and the blade flexes quite well imho, but that may be due to its thinness.

The guard should arrive in the mail today🤞, but I've got lots of research to do before even touching it. Any recommendations for videos, books, or other online resources?

Here is the knife now. The thickness is .035 when measured 3/16 up from cutting edge. Thanks to all for looking, being patient, and supportive. Nice group of folks here!

Edit: the dark line at top of blade is just a weird shadow.

I know you are happy. This one is way better than the first attempt, which is what everyone has been telling you would happen. The name of the game in knifemaking is "stick to it, because every one gets better than the last one."

Since you are waiting on your guard, now is the time to really get that blade looking good. I don't know how fine a belt you have, but in my opinion, this one would look great if you took it back to the sander for some 220grit love. It has some minor dimples and angles on the areas that should be flat. It will take a month of Sundays to hand sand this flat and shiny.

BTW, the reshaping looks very well done. On a drop point always remember that the key to getting a sharp point back once you round it off is to grind the spine, not the bevel.
    Last edited by John Wilson; 05-11-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast