Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plunge Line Question

I had a similar problem a while back but only in one side. I found the cause was that I had a gap of about 1/16" between the belt and my platten on one side. Might check and make sure that your platten is adjusted correctly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss70 View Post
    I had a similar problem a while back but only in one side. I found the cause was that I had a gap of about 1/16" between the belt and my platten on one side. Might check and make sure that your platten is adjusted correctly.

Oh Wow! So, what was out of alignment, the belt or the platen? How in the world would you adjust that on a horizontal axis? Washers?

Quote Originally Posted by Self Made Knives View Post
    Ha! I thought you wanted the rounded look, sorry.
    No worries at all Anthony! I appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions!

I cut some shims out of a Coke can and put them between the platten bracket and the main body of the pattern. Worked perfectly for me.

It's funny, how all this stuff works together, and small changes make big differences. Usually I attempt to get a more rounded line, just because it's more visually appealing to me. And it's nice for me at least because I can change it to a more square line if I need to, to "fix" things if I'm too far out to match. It's just a trick I've saved a blade or two with. My next tool purchase is going to be a file guide. My experience is "training wheels" help teach me the muscle memory I need once I choose to take them off. But in my research I've found that a good file guide can be much more than a traning tool.
    Post a couple pictures of your results, I'd love to see what your getting, and what the symptoms are causing.

I'll do that this evening Kev...thanks!

but why are all my plunges cutting the "sweep" instead of a semi-sharp 90 deg angle
    I'm finishing up a basic class with a gentleman who has never ground blades before..... he was having the same issue, and for him it was simply that he wasn't paying attention to the horizontal angle he was holding the blade at when grinding...... basically was holding the tang end higher or lower on one side then he was the other. Think of the edge of a grinding belt as an immovable "straight edge".... in order to achieve/maintain a given angle, you have to insure that you hold the blade horizontally to achieve the plunge cut angle you desire...... THEN, the trick is to match/maintain that angle on the opposite side of the blade. Along with that, body motion could also be the culprit...as you move to the side, you MIGHT be dropping that side hand/arm.

There can of course be other explanations, but often time the simplest, tends to be the correct one. Check into that, and if it's not a solution, let us know and we can go from there.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Thanks Ed....I've spent at least an hour each weeknight and nearly the entire weekends in front of that thing for the last several weeks....learned a lot, worked a lot of things out, but still have a few struggles.....I'm getting there though!

I was able to finish one so far..I struggled with the straight bevel and finally had to take it to the spine to make it work. But I think it turned out okay.

IMG_2298.jpg
    Last edited by Jellis11; 04-14-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Hey! That's really nice! Keep going!!

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    I'm finishing up a basic class with a gentleman who has never ground blades before..... he was having the same issue, and for him it was simply that he wasn't paying attention to the horizontal angle he was holding the blade at when grinding...... basically was holding the tang end higher or lower on one side then he was the other. Think of the edge of a grinding belt as an immovable "straight edge".... in order to achieve/maintain a given angle, you have to insure that you hold the blade horizontally to achieve the plunge cut angle you desire...... THEN, the trick is to match/maintain that angle on the opposite side of the blade. Along with that, body motion could also be the culprit...as you move to the side, you MIGHT be dropping that side hand/arm.

There can of course be other explanations, but often time the simplest, tends to be the correct one. Check into that, and if it's not a solution, let us know and we can go from there.

I can certainly appreciate the KISS philosophy. I am a learn by doing guy and find my groove by trial and error most of the time. That said it's great to have a place like this where experts chime in. Most times I learn to watch for things, I didn't even know I was missing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12