Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: welding in forged in fire

welding in forged in fire

So I'm watching an old episode of forged in fire. One of the knifemakers developed a crack in his blade. I was shocked to see him weld it up with a mig welder. I messed around with arc welding a spring once and had lousy results. I was under the impression if the base metal was hot and you normalized the steel after it might work. Anybody ever try welding high carbon with good results?

Oh it can be done...... but the more important questions is Should it be done. General purpose welding rod and wire are of a low carbon base, which means you're introducing another "type" of material into the mix. Unless the rod/wire is a very specific type, it won't harden, and it will ALWAYS appear in the finished product as a "glob" in the pattern. The general purpose rod/wire shows up a grainy, ugly, grey blob. Welding rod/wire also has vastly different forging characteristics then base blade steels..... meaning it will often crack/tear when forged.

Ya gotta remember something when you're watching Forged in Fire, just like Youtube...... it's all about the drama, and ya gotta take it with a grain of salt.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

I often find it interesting that they never show tempering the blades. A

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is done by staff after the time runs out and the competitors are done. We've had two members of our club, Southern Ohio Forge and Anvil, on the show. One of them gave a presentation on his experience at one of our club meetings. Very interesting experience. Basically what you see them do on the clock is what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by CRWhit View Post
    I often find it interesting that they never show tempering the blades. A

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Forged in Fire is certainly something to experience. I was in New York last year for a screen test for a Judge position (obviously didn't get the part), but I learned a great deal about how they do things. Being a competitor on the show is simply not something that is for me. It's certainly all about the drama. There are a lot of things going on "off screen", that plays into what everyone sees on TV.

The show itself is very popular, but they are at a point where they are running out of contestants. I receive a phone call or email about every two weeks, asking if I'd reconsider being a contestant. If I speak with them on the phone, they always ask for "leads" for possible contestants.
    I suspect in the future we'll see various types of "spin off" shows because of it's popularity.
    Last edited by EdCaffreyMS; 04-10-2017 at 07:44 AM.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Forged with fire is the Orange County Choppers of the knife world. Would any of you EVER buy a knife made on that show? It is fun to watch. But when the producers are setting the time demands on the craftsman...well...just look at the quality. I think most of those guys on their own turf/time are probably doing decent work.

i was on a reality gardening show once....reality? LOLOLOL!!!

Probably the best thing that could happen for all you custom builders is that it goes the way of OCC....then the unrealistic time constraints that result in piles of crap winning first place won't be part of the challenge you face on pricing....."What!! $800 dollars for a knife?? I saw a guy on Forged In Fire make an entire battle axe in three hours.....!!" MMMMM-Hmmmm....three hours of quality art. Snerk....

Does ANYONE do good work with DRAMA as the daily fare....?
    Thanks,
    Smallshop (AKA Ted Hauser)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God puts the iron in the ground and the highlights in the wood....it's His stuff, we just get to work with it....make it nice.

I'm happy for anything that makes knifemaking exciting to the general public. I agree with Ted's sentiment, though. A little bit goes a long way.

A whole bunch of my friends were on a reality TV show called Game of Arms, which was the Forged In Fire of armwrestling. Yeah, it's cool to see so many friends on TV but the show was ridiculous and didn't do the sport any favors. It's a running joke now every time we all talk about it because the underlying theme of the show was that every single guy was down on his luck and needed to win the money to survive. The "drama" was hilarious when you know all of the guys personally. I have no idea how they film FIF, but the armwrestling show was as contrived as could possibly be. They'd film the "match" countless times from countless angles and then via the magic of editing turn it into what you saw on TV.

Forged In Fire has gotten me some sales. Average Joe sees that kind of thing on TV and decides he wants a handmade knife. That's a good thing. Luckily for all of us, reality TV jumped the shark a long time ago and the public is wise to the fact that it's made-for-TV.

Forged with fire is the Orange County Choppers
    Hey, I think FiF is MUCH better than OCC!!! I remember when OCC first came on I was really looking forward to the program to see them build choppers (I built a few in '70's). It didn't take but a couple of times before I threw in the towel on OCC - too much anger drama there. FiF does not have the "anger drama" of OCC and that alone makes FiF MUCH better.

My 2 cents {g}

might watch the show if it comes to Netflix. I agree it all about 'The Drama'. to answer original question, tool steel needs special filler to be welded properly. If working with A2, you would need Harris 3AH special rod for air hardening steels. Harris Super Missileweld is recommended for high carbon and tool steels. You also need to preheat item to be welded and do a controlled cool. We had a bottom knockout beam in our forging press, 15' x 8" x 12" of S series steel. folks would try to fix cracks with MIG, weld might last an hour or a day.
    Scott, just a tired old sailor
    see my knives and woodwork here
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/oldsailorsknives?ref=l2-shop-info-name

I know it's TV but I still watch the show. My favorite part of the show is seeing other guys shops.

Jake
    PRO PATRIA
    Welcome to Idaho. Now go home.