Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinder/Belt Question

I had an ebay VFD. It was good for a couple of months and went up in smoke. Tried enclosing it in a tupperware container but kept overheating. I finally bit the bullet and got the KBAC with a 2hp motor. The control is great.

I know for a while this expense was off the table so I used a step pulley system. I was able to slow things down enough to avoid the bumps (still didnt switch to J weight belts yet). I also used a 1750 rpm motor. If I needed to hog things off I used an angle grinder.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Certainly step pulley are an option, especially if cost is the overriding consideration. It took me a few years before I could justify a VFD setup, but after doing it, I kept asking myself "Why didn't I do this sooner."

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    Certainly step pulley are an option, especially if cost is the overriding consideration. It took me a few years before I could justify a VFD setup, but after doing it, I kept asking myself "Why didn't I do this sooner."
    Which is why I have pretty much set my mind to the motor/VFD option....in the meantime, I have to believe that working with the insane speed of that Wilton, I have no choice but to learn some control and patience (to a certain extent).

You could also reduce the size of the drive wheel, and slow it down considerably. That may be the best cheapest option for now. You could always sell the leftover wheel when you get a VFD setup. There's always someone looking for that stuff. Reducing the size of the drive wheel could get you down in a manageable speed range.

That was the idea I had many moons ago when I first realized my Square Wheel was way too fast. It comes from the factory, with a cast 10" drive wheel that moves the belt at 4600 SFPM, and is the major problem with the machine being a "knifemaking" machine.

The factory drive wheel cannot be reduced in size because of it's factory configuration (there is only a "web" of material connecting the outer hub and the arbor hub), therefore you're left with the option of either obtaining a "slow down" wheel from somewhere....and for a while that was an option, but as the Square Wheel sorta "died" away, those who offered the slow down wheels ceased to offer them.

About the only choice a person has these days is to find an 8" dia (or larger) X 2" thick chunk of aluminum (can't use steel, the weight tears up the motor's braking system, and destroys the motor), and have a drive wheel machined out. The smallest drive wheel that can be used without modifying the tooling arm's position, is 8 1/4".
    You can go down to a 7 1/4", but that requires re-positioning the tooling arm as far outward as possible....meaning you have to drill/tap new holes into the grinder's frame. (This is what I did to my Square Wheel).
    A 7 1/4" drive wheel slows the belt down to approx. 2800 SFPM. It's not ideal, but it makes the machine a far cry better then the factory 4600 SFPM.

At the time there was no such thing as a commercially available VFD.... In the current time, a 2hp/3ph motor and the associated KBAC VFD is about the same cost as having a new drive wheel machined out...... considering that the costs are approx. the same, there's no question that I would go with a VFD setup if I had it to do over today.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

I didn't realize it was so complex. I can't say that I've ever seen a square wheel grinder, so my comment was obviously from a "this should work" standpoint. I didn't consider machine specific issues. I was just thinking of it in context of the machine I have. Makes sense what your saying though. Too bad it won't work. Seems like a cheap and easy fix, but apparently not. Good to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12