Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New (to me) Grinder

Thanks Ed, makes more sense now....so the belt is ALWAYS in direct contact with the full surface of your platen (glass face in this case) thus the need to reduce heat, ie glass, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    During my last tour of duty in the Middle East,
    US Army, 528th USAAG, Cakmakli, Turkey 92-94

Yes..... if the belt isn't totally against the platen, there will always be a slight convex to whatever you grind. It's often not a enough to be obviously visibly, but it can drive you crazy when trying to assemble something that needs to be very flat (gaps will show).

Thanks for your service!

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

And thank you for yours...I appreciate all the help. I'm going to get started on the platen "plate"(?) this weekend while I wait on belts, couldn't find any locally.

Unless you're among the lucky ones that live somewhere close to a "knife supply" outfit, just about everything will be "ordered". Depending or where you're located, my recommendation for belts is Tru-Grit if you're west of the Mississippi, and Pop's Knife Supply if your east of the Mississippi. Nobody can match the prices that Tru-Grit offers, but being in California, shipping can be a week or more for those in the east.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Here is a WIP on the glass platen install that Self Made Knives posted up last year. It helped me a bit. It may help you also.

DeMo

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?...t=glass+platen

I live in NY and ordered on a Friday from Tru-Grit Monday I got my package.

That's awesome Rick! Even being here in Montana, whether they ship UPS or Priority Mail, it still takes at least 3 days to get here.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

For your glass platen liner, go to eBay, and type "Robax" into the search bar. Sort for lowest price, and you'll find a seller with the absolute best prices I've seen anywhere. Make sure you follow the ordering instructions so that you get the correct length, and I'd recommend buying 2 or 3 so you have a spare down the road. They wear VERY slowly, but they do wear.
    -Andrew (Drew) Riley

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
    Check it out and Subscribe!
    You can also follow me on Instagram: arcustomknives
    or Facebook: AR Custom Knives

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    No..... that's not the way you want it. The contact wheels on the flat platen of a Square Wheel are on "cams", meaning that you can loosen the bolts holding the contact wheels to the platen body, and the holes are "off center"....you can rotate then so that the contact wheels move in or out in relationship to the platen. I always recommend laying a straight edge along the platen face (one that is long enough to extend beyond the top and bottom contact wheels), then move the contact wheels back, until the straight edge no longer makes contact with the contact wheels (have a slight amount of "daylight" between the straight edge and the contact wheels). This is another reason why I added a 5/16" thick platen face to the existing platen body.... with my grinder, the contact wheels would only move reward enough to be level with the platen face...... this causes issues if you ever try to grind anything longer then the platen.... if the contact wheel (usually the top one) makes contact with what you're grinding, it will create a "divot" in the steel you're grinding, which is a bear to get out.

Here's a pic that might be helpful: (this pic is of my custom KMG platen, but the same principle applies to any flat platen on a grinder.)

YES HE DOES! It's all thanks to a wonderful Wife! During my last tour of duty in the Middle East, my wonderful Wife asked if I was going to be a full time Bladesmith when I retired.....when I said yes, that was all it took. When I got home she had already done the footwork and research for a new steel building for a new "hot" shop! Of course there was a concession..... one of the 12 foot bays (the hot shop is 20'x48') was "her's" to park her vehicle in. Small price to pay for a nice shop building!
    Ed is the kind of guy who likes too tinker with things to make them better.I truley believe if he played golf he would mess the that ball until it flew 600yrds he is just good at making things better.
    Last edited by Rick Otts; 03-18-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Otts View Post
    Ed is the kind of guy who likes too tinker with things to make them better.I truley believe if he played golf he would mess the that ball until it flew 600yrs he is just good at making things better.
    600 years?!! At that rate, it'd take forever to play 18 holes.
    -Andrew (Drew) Riley

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword.... (Hebrews 4:12)

My YouTube Channel: www.YouTube.com/ARCustomKnives
    Check it out and Subscribe!
    You can also follow me on Instagram: arcustomknives
    or Facebook: AR Custom Knives

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast