Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Thread: First welded billet

First welded billet

I have started my first welded billet , started with 11 layers of 1084 and 15N20 , 1'' wide and 3.5 " long , forged out to 5.5'' long and 1.5'' wide. My power hammer (my right arm) has come to the conclusion that a mechanical power hammer or hyd press are in order.

Whaaaaaaaaat no pics??? OK I get it, too tired to trigger the shutter!! You are way ahead of me!! Still would like to see!
    C Craft Customs
    With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
    If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Now you understand why the power hammers and pressed are so important to us old farts!. I still remember my first Damascus billet by hand.... started looking for a power hammer shortly there after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Here are a few pix's,the material ,the welded billet ready for the forge and the end result . As an aside note this Saturday I am going to a meeting of the Michigan Artistic Blacksmith Assc., it taking place only a few miles from my house and yes ED I'am starting my search for a small power hammer,LOL.IMG_1355.jpgIMG_1356.jpgIMG_1357.jpgIMG_1359.jpg

Well started with 2 stacks of 10 layer and one stack of 11 layer all 1''x 3'' and now after much hammering I have 1 billet of 42 layer at 1.3''x 4.3''x 1'' and contemplating my next move . Thinking of cutting it into 3 equal pieces , stacking them and forge welding for 124 layers then hot cutting the stack andIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1367.jpg re-welding for I think some Feather Damascus

That's awesome!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    pressonknives@gmail
    Instagram @pressonknives