Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got caught off guard and ill prepared.

I got caught off guard and ill prepared.

Was talking with a gentleman the other day about hobbies and told him I started making knives as a hobby and was asked if I had one of mine on me.
    Duhhhh, No I don't.
    No I don't, WHAT THE HECK? How as a maker can you not carry a knife of your own making on you?
    That is the biggest way to display your skills in this craft.
    Any of you fellow hobbyists have this issue at one point or another?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Walt 😆

Yep... That's why I made this little guy. I have been carrying it everyday since November.

IMG_20170314_050002952.jpg

My dad made a pocket sheath for it and it's more comfortable then my wallet.

IMG_20170314_045941383.jpg
    Ty Adams
    Instagram @tyadamsknives

Yep, that same thing has happened with me a couple of times - I can usually show a few photos on my phone, but still nothing like being able to actually show an example.

Later

Great job. I like the knife and the pocket sheath. Don't get so comfortable with it you forget its there! I was in line to go in the court house here a while back, when I suddenly remembered my pocket knife. Had to get out of line and go back out to my truck. Guard asked me when I came back about getting out of line! Yep, you ain't getting my pocket knife and we both laughed!!!
    C Craft Customs
    With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
    If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

For me it was a constant problem....for a long time! Goofy me would show the knife I was carrying, and the person would offer me some stupid amount of money, and buy off me, which left me without a a knife to carry.

For some reason people always believe that a knifemaker carries "the best" knife he ever made..... I'm just the opposite, when I make a mistake that I can't fix or hide, I usually end up carrying that knife. Most of the time it's not something that's readily visible..... So what I started doing was making the mistake more obvious in the knife I carry..... that way when someone wants to buy it, I have the excuse of showing them the mistake, and telling them it's not something I would sell. Just my way of always having a knife with me! It works MOST of the time.... I had an instance one year at the Blade show when I was lucky enough to have sold out, and had a guy ask to see the framelock flipper I was carrying....like a dummiy I showed it to him, and he put it in his pocket, then proceeded to dole out a wad of cash... in an amount that I couldn't refuse.....but there it was again...me without a knife.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Maybe we need to open a whine and cheese section for you guys and your success stories. There must be a morel to these stories somewhere, hmmmm let me think.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    Maybe we need to open a whine and cheese section for you guys and your success stories. There must be a morel to these stories somewhere, hmmmm let me think.
    ????? Am I missing something?
    Ty Adams
    Instagram @tyadamsknives

Quote Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS View Post
    For me it was a constant problem....for a long time! Goofy me would show the knife I was carrying, and the person would offer me some stupid amount of money, and buy off me, which left me without a a knife to carry.

For some reason people always believe that a knifemaker carries "the best" knife he ever made..... I'm just the opposite, when I make a mistake that I can't fix or hide, I usually end up carrying that knife. Most of the time it's not something that's readily visible..... So what I started doing was making the mistake more obvious in the knife I carry..... that way when someone wants to buy it, I have the excuse of showing them the mistake, and telling them it's not something I would sell. Just my way of always having a knife with me! It works MOST of the time.... I had an instance one year at the Blade show when I was lucky enough to have sold out, and had a guy ask to see the framelock flipper I was carrying....like a dummiy I showed it to him, and he put it in his pocket, then proceeded to dole out a wad of cash... in an amount that I couldn't refuse.....but there it was again...me without a knife.
    Ed here I thought I was special. I won't sell that knife, but several people have tried to buy it!
    Ty Adams
    Instagram @tyadamsknives

Originally Posted by golfer

????? Am I missing something?

Ty Adams
    I was wondering the same thing..... that sounds like something you'd read on one of the "other" forums.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Yea, I didn't really get that....it was a good read, then that comment came along and kind of put the brakes on.

Anyhoo.........I always carry one of my fixed blades here in knife friendly Florida, I work for a city owned natural gas utility and never had anyone say a word other than...nice, can I see it. just yesterday I was in city hall with council people and police, no one blinked an eye.
    anyhow, I carry and absolutely brutalize my blade at work, usually, after a few years I grind off my mark and give it to a coworker to put on their truck for pipe scraping or what have you. by the time I'm thru with it, it doesn't represent my work anymore Ha Ha. in a few more years I'll carry a nice one and try to keep it presentable.
    Steve Miller
    Voting member Knifemakers guild since 1997
    Founding member Florida Knifemakers Association 2003
    http://millerknives.com

Blue lives matter

Make America Great Again !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast