Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP Gas forge

I have these knives uo to the stage where the handles are having the finish applied so today I started on the sheaths.
    I got in a new double shoulder of 3mm (1/8) cowhide so marked out the patterns with as little waste as possible.

I had a little lefy from the previous piece so made up a couple to make sure my new patterns were fitting the knives propperly and then cut out the rest.

With the belt loops sewn in and the welt glued in I will leave them till the adjustable U groover gets here to make the turn over of the back to the front much easier. A friend showed me his and how he runs a couple of grooves down the inside of the sheath either side of the center line and the leather folds over and lies much flatter for punching the stitch holes.

Before I started this morning I made a third hand to make the stitching much easier and when I stitched u the couple of trial sheaths I was quite impressed with how much easier it is compared to how I had been doing it for the last near 50 years.
    Von Gruff

The ability to do comes with doing.

Love is Genesis 12: 3. Exodus 20: 1-17. Acts 4: 10-12

So this is the knives as they stand at the moment. They still have to have the final blade finish and be sharpened.
    First are some hunter skinners and this first one with cocobolo scales I was going to keep for myself, but will probably sell it on as I have some lovely wood coming from the US, thanks again to Frank who has made much of this possible by sourcing and shipping various goodies for me.

walnut and ebony

walnut and jarah

A wapiti hunter in walnut and hickory

Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-21-2017 at 01:34 AM.
    Von Gruff

and a few boners
    First is a special order companion knife to go with a light hunter in the same walnut and jarah shipped of a short while back

One for myself in a specail piece of walnut cut from my late fathers yard in the early 80's

And a plain walnut one just to start getting one or two ahead for casual sales.

I seem to have missed getting a pic of a general hunter in walnut and jarah but it is on the bench anyway and as ready as these are.
    In this pic of them in the sheaths thata still have to be hot wax dipped there is three extra that are still to be finished. On the far left is my own personal light hunter in a fantastic piece of olivewood and buffalo horn that I will show propperly when it is finished with the top left being a new killing knife (for the sheep) with walnut and copper pins, and a little field scalpel with buffaol horn scales.
    Last edited by Von Gruff; 04-21-2017 at 01:33 AM.
    Von Gruff

Nice Job...love those sheaths.
    Thanks,
    Smallshop (AKA Ted Hauser)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God puts the iron in the ground and the highlights in the wood....it's His stuff, we just get to work with it....make it nice.

I did a short video this morning of hot waxing the sheaths
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2jz...ature=youtu.be
    Von Gruff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12