Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My latest sword project

My latest sword project

The medieval sword found in the river Witham is one of the most recognizable treasures at the British museum: http://www.britishmuseum.org/researc...36133&partId=1

A few years ago I had the rare privilege of spending an afternoon measuring and studying it first hand, and I had a feeling then that it was something special. Recently a good customer got his turn at having me make something and asked if there was something I would like to do (as I said, he is a good customer). This was my opportunity to try my hand at the Witham and get paid for doing it, so when he said that he loved that sword the fun began! I always thought that the original’s gaudy inscriptions were a distraction from its phenomenal lines and proportions, and so when I suggested that we go with a cleaner and more weapon-like version, my customer was on board and even suggested a brazil nut pommel to keep with the theme. This was going to be fun since it would also test my skills at redesigning what was perhaps a perfect medieval weapon with a slightly different hilt and pommel while still keeping the same flawless dynamics of balance points and center of percussion etc…

There was no decision to be made regarding blade material, it would, of course be my trade mark Crucible formula L6. But I found one of the biggest challenges of this blade immediately in the forging process- those narrow double fullers. I forged two blades to get the proportions of those grooves right and discovered a nasty twist that they gave to the process, and I say “twist” not just metaphorically! Those fullers acted like two “I” beams running down the blade causing any subtle strain imbalance to pull the blade in every crooked direction possible. It took longer to normalize the blade than it did to forge it, and the heating and cooling had to be exact.

But once forged, grinding the blade was a pleasure, it always is when doing these exact recreations because you can feel the blade come alive in your hands as you shave off each thousandth of an inch closer to the original. I knew that the tapers and cross sections of this blade were something unique, but I was not prepared for the feel of it in the hand. I have worked with many really effective weapons that were the Hot Rod Fords or Chevy’s of their time, but the Witham is a Ferrari! Point tracking is so dead on that if a trained knight aimed it at you, your earthly affairs had better be in order, and yet this quick blade would cut like a laser.

Polishing was not too bad either, since the planes of the blade were all broken down into convenient narrow sections that gave up their scratches in short order. And those fullers reflected the light in a way that created great lines and almost Art Deco sleekness to the blade; I was so glad we didn’t go with the inlayed inscriptions.

For the cross and pommel we chose wrought iron, which completed the battlefield workhorse theme. The scabbard was tradition wood wrapped in a maroon goatskin bookbinding leather from a new supplier that I like. The chape took longer to make than the entire scabbard, since I hammered it out of sheet steel. Normally I would use non-ferrous, which raises and domes quite easily, the steel was much more ornery and required a bit more hot work, but in the end the hammered finish of the steel went well with the overall theme.

Last edited by Kevin R. Cashen; 12-30-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Fantastic write-up! I learned quite a bit from the way you presented this, which leads me to ask your informed opinion on how exactly such an original came to be made given the science and tooling of the day. Was such a perfect sword the natural progression of improvements over many years, or do you believe that the swordsmith who made it understood the underlying geometry so well that this was made to satisfy a preconceived design? The latter case would make it an engineering marvel.

I try not to underestimate the smiths of old, but I can't help but wonder how much they stumbled into over time through trial and error. Then again, it's one thing to reverse engineer a masterpiece but a wholly overwhelming task to have imagined it in the first place and then brought it to life. Designing something on paper is one thing and actually making that design a living reality is something else entirely beyond that.

At any rate, your craftsmanship is astounding. I know you must be pleased with the result!

Beautiful! I do like this sword.

WOW! Your craftsmanship is a wonder to behold. Just great - that sword looks good just laying there. Congrats on a job well done.

Ken H>

Quote Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
    Fantastic write-up! I learned quite a bit from the way you presented this, which leads me to ask your informed opinion on how exactly such an original came to be made given the science and tooling of the day. Was such a perfect sword the natural progression of improvements over many years, or do you believe that the swordsmith who made it understood the underlying geometry so well that this was made to satisfy a preconceived design? The latter case would make it an engineering marvel.

I try not to underestimate the smiths of old, but I can't help but wonder how much they stumbled into over time through trial and error. Then again, it's one thing to reverse engineer a masterpiece but a wholly overwhelming task to have imagined it in the first place and then brought it to life. Designing something on paper is one thing and actually making that design a living reality is something else entirely beyond that.

At any rate, your craftsmanship is astounding. I know you must be pleased with the result!
    Hello John, I think the key component in making such exquisite tools was direct feedback from users who really used them in the most serious of ways. Today we have the luxury of making fantasy swords, or having it look “awesome” being enough, when these incredibly designed tools were made it was deadly serious business. Sort of like a modern professional athlete today working with equipment manufacturers to squeeze that last percentile point of performance, but only ten times more serious and intense because the athlete only loses a trophy or a medal, back then…well…

I have examined clunky examples from the past, some things never change and there were no doubt low end knockoffs back then as well. But this sword was originally made for somebody important and so they obviously got one of the top guys to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Nel View Post
    Beautiful! I do like this sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenH View Post
    WOW! Your craftsmanship is a wonder to behold. Just great - that sword looks good just laying there. Congrats on a job well done.

Ken H
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

Beautiful sward and great write up Kevin. do you know what year that original was made?
    Steve Miller
    Voting member Knifemakers guild since 1997
    Founding member Florida Knifemakers Association 2003
    http://millerknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by bladegrinder View Post
    Beautiful sward and great write up Kevin. do you know what year that original was made?
    The British Museum puts it at 1250-1330 A.D. but Oakshotte estimated a bit earlier.

Beautiful sword and very informative writing Kevin. Wish I could feel how it handles.
    Just a cat in the dog pound,

Dan Pierson

Great looking sword and awesome craftsmanship! Did they do any steel composition analysis on the original sword?
    Joe Cross

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast