Nubile 440C question...

Kev

Currently I'm using 440C to make my blades, because I'm familiar with the material and it's readily available to me.
My question is regarding post heat treat quench. I've seen where it's been said you can substitute a plate quench in lieu of an warm oil quench? What would be the difference in regards to the final product?
Thank you in advance,
Kev

There won't be a noticeable difference in the final product, but will be very noticeable to you as the knifemaker is the time and effort to get it to a finished state. With oil, the blade is going to require more time and effort to finish out, just because of the scale, oil residue, etc. There's also the aspect of the likelihood of warping being much greater with a simple oil quench versus using quench plates.

As with anytime a knifemaker changes methodologies, it may require some testing and adjustments on your part to achieve exactly the results you require, and in the end YOU are the one who must decide if the gains are worth your efforts/changes.

My recommendation is that IF you can see any advantages to changing your methods, then unless the down side(s) are over whelming, make the change.

Back