Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventures in Knife Making

Adventures in Knife Making

Hi all,
    After giving it a lot of thought I decided to keep track of my adventure into knife making. All comments are welcome good and bad. Let me start off by saying that about 15 years ago when money was tight I made a few kit knifes as gifts for family and friends. With very few tools and not caring about fit and finish they turned out bad.
    The first knife I made in January was not so good. It is 1095 and green micarta scales. The edge is to thick and gets dull fast.IMG_20160707_181747759.jpg So I did a bunch of research, bought a few books, and watch a lot of you tube. The members of this forum have been a great help.
    Knife 2 1084 and curly maple scales.IMG_20160428_184659522.jpg There are still a bunch of flaws in this one. Knife 3 was going to be the best knife ever made. BOOM FAIL!IMG_20160701_141816755.jpgIMG_20160701_141835565.jpg While trying to clean up the plunge lines and make them even I sanded a grove in the blade. Not wanting it to go to waste green micarta again. This knife has been through some abuse. It's has been dropped tip down on the concrete floor uncountable times. Thrown at trees ( I am not a Ninja, it never stuck). Tried different edge bevel angles, and convex edge vs flat. Learned to sharpen on the powered equipment. This was the best mistake that could have happened. The things that I have learned from abusing this knife have been invaluable.
    I am going start on a new post at this point. I lost almost everything earlier when this one got to long.
    Ty Adams

After along debate my wife and I decided to invest in some equipment. She has always been supportive of anything that I wanted to do. Before knife 4 a KMG 3 speed was ordered.IMG_20160616_200125323.jpg This thing removes material fast. I wrecked the plunge line on knife 4. Again 1084 and Walnut from USA Knife Makers.IMG_20160707_170120452.jpg My brother wants an EDC so this one is going to him.
    My heat treating process is getting better. Knife 5 has the best edge retention of the 5 knives. 1084 and maroon micarta, black paper bolsters and blue liner. IMG_20160704_111657714.jpg Almost happy with this one. I still have long way to go. Thanks, Ty Adams
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Ty, i can defiantly see a progression in fit in finish and style from those knives. Also nice job talking the boss into a 2x72

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    pressonknives@gmail
    Instagram @pressonknives

It's fun to see how each maker progresses in his skills. I like to go back at times and look at my first knives to see how far I've progressed. The best thing a maker can do to improve is to evaluate each knife he makes, find the flaws, and do his best next time to not repeat the same mistakes. Knife making is quite the adventure.
    Brandant Robinson

I'm not addicted to knife making . . . really . . . I can stop any time. I just don't want to.

Brandant Robinson on Facebook
    Instagram: @brandantrobinson

You can see the subtle changes made with each knife. From the design, to fit/finish, material choices, etc.

I took my kids to the new Dory movie last weekend. All I got to say is, "Just keep on swimming!"

Your progression is showing. Keep moving forward.

DeMo

Hi Ty. This was a nice post. Your knives are coming along and you're improving each time. The most valuable thing for your knifemaking career.....you've already done. Testing, which leads to questions, which starts you on a search for answers, that leads to more testing and that leads to better knives.

Good for you! You're well on your way.
    John Doyle
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/jdoyleknives/

*MY ORDER BOOKS ARE CLOSED* Email jdoyleknives AT gmail DOT com
    for notification of available knives.

Streem Rods, Reels and apparel. Use coupon code 'jdoyleknives' for 10% off here>>>: http://streemoutdoors.com?afmc=jdoyleknives

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Presson View Post
    Nice work Ty, i can defiantly see a progression in fit in finish and style from those knives. Also nice job talking the boss into a 2x72

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Thanks Justin. My wife is awesome, I left out the fact that she let me buy an anvil, and a better then free drill press that I was using. (Yes free and there was a reason that they were going to throw it in the garbage.) Oh yea there is also the new found wood scale fetish. I can't stop wood is awesome, so many choices!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Doyle View Post
    Hi Ty. This was a nice post. Your knives are coming along and you're improving each time. The most valuable thing for your knifemaking career.....you've already done. Testing, which leads to questions, which starts you on a search for answers, that leads to more testing and that leads to better knives.

Good for you! You're well on your way.
    John thanks for the kind words. Your quality of fit and finish has really driven me to do the best I can. So far my second favorite part of making the knives is what I get to do to them after they are finished. The first part is hand finishing. It's when everything really comes together. I know that things can only improve. Thanks, Ty

Thanks DeMo. That's the plan keep swimming.
    Ty

That is some improvement there Ty keep up the good work!And I am going too use your idea.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast