Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Welding Forge WIP

Thanks! I plan to build at some point soon and debating blown vs aspirated, this seems like a very straight forward, design.

If you ever plan on making damascus, I highly encourage building a blower type forge. You can always dial it back/down for general forge work. If you go with a venturi burner(s), there's only so much heat you'll be able to get out of it/them....and they will almost always be less fuel efficient then a blown burner. I can't over emphasis how valuable keeping a forge design simple and clean can be. I've spend far too many hours on the phone or typing emails trying to help folks with overly complicated forge designs.... I don't know where some folks get the idea that the more "bells-n-whistles" they put on a forge, the "better" it's going to be......usually just the opposite is true.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Thanks for putting this together Ed! That's an interesting tip about the 3 concentric pipes with the burner! I try to remember that!
    Best Regards,
    -Daniel Rohde-
    www.RohdeEdge.com

Just an update...... the new forge is now in place, and being used. Beyond the fact that this one takes a bit of time to come to welding temp (which I expected, but still have to get used to) it's working great, and I'm hoping it will hold up for much longer then the old kawool welding forge. I'll wait, and use it for several months before I declare the design to be a "success", but right now it appears that's what it will be.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

5. Nice how long does it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 min to an hour to 2350F.....give or take based on the conditions. The old kawool welding forge only took 15-20 mins to reach that temp. On the upside, when I put one of my monster billets in it (8"x1 1/2" X 40-50 layers) it doesn't take near the recovery time that the kawool for did. As with just about everything in Bladesmithing/knifemaking, its just another trade-off.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

7. Wow that must be expensive propane wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really..... I have a 500 gallon tank for the forging shop..... historically it only requires a fill about once every 14-16 months. In that time frame I go through approx. $400-$500 worth of propane.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Nice build Ed. Even though the castable is expensive compared to time lost I imagine it will pay for itself in short order. It makes me restless to have my shop down.

Regards, Fred

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234