Making a slipjoint in 100 pictures or less.

JPSWorks

Just this last month I finished my third slip joint knife and the first knife that I've sold to date, and the first with my mark on it. I was very excited to make this one because it was a surprise retirement gift for the father of a good friend of mine. I took over 10gigs of pics and videos of the process from beginning to end for his dad and gave him a piece of the raw materials of each component of the knife because that is what he wanted. I was happy to do so.

Aeb-L blade and spring
410 SS for liners and bolsters
410 SS for pins
Hawaiian Koa for wood

Here are just some of the pics I pulled from that all of that data that I wanted to share. The very last pictures show my first slipjoint with the same Hawaiian Koa just like this one. This is just going to be a picture thread, and I hope someone enjoys seeing the processes. So here it goes.

The making of a slipjoint knife in 100 pics or less.

Slipjoint%201.jpg

Slipjoint%202.jpg

Slipjoint%203.jpg

Slipjoint%204.jpg

Slipjoint%205.jpg

Slipjoint%206.jpg

Slipjoint%207.jpg

Slipjoint%208.jpg

Slipjoint%209.jpg

Slipjoint%2010.jpg

Slipjoint%2011.jpg

Slipjoint%2012.jpg

Slipjoint%2013.jpg

Slipjoint%2014.jpg

Slipjoint%2015.jpg

Slipjoint%2016.jpg

Slipjoint%2017.jpg

Slipjoint%2018.jpg

Slipjoint%2019.jpg

Slipjoint%2020.jpg

Slipjoint%2021.jpg

Slipjoint%2022.jpg

Slipjoint%2023.jpg

Last edited:
You are getting better and better!!! Very nice work and a big thank you for showing your process steps :)
I had promising results dressing 45° the dremel grinding disk (a little thicker than the cutoffs), the new kind with the quick attach system. They withstand the acute angle during cutting the nick and give a crescent shape with sharp ends. Both you and i don't have a mill and we need to get other routes ;)

Great work all the way around!! That's probably the best 2nd. folder I've ever seen.

I couldn't help noticing you do things the same way I do. Well,,, I used to.

BUT,,, Please don't wear gloves or sleeves when operating a rotating machine or band saw. Please pardon my saying so.

Last edited:
I wanted to duplicate your materials (steel and pins) but the vendor site is down. How critical are those thicknesses for the liners and bolsters? Any reason you chose them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to duplicate your materials (steel and pins) but the vendor site is down. How critical are those thicknesses for the liners and bolsters? Any reason you chose them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello John. They aren't that critical. I just chose those because they were the thickness that I wanted to use. Some use thinner liner material. Totally up to you.

Back