Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New "How I do it" Videos page on my website!

New "How I do it" Videos page on my website!

Just finished uploading a new page on my website....dedicated to short videos of "How I do it". Right now the videos include: Finishing handles on the grinder, applying Tru-Oil, and Hand Finishing Blades. As time permits, I will add more. If you have requests for specific videos, let me know, and I will put them on the "to do" list.

Heres a link to the Video page: http://www.caffreyknives.net/how_to_videos.html

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

"Nobody cares what you know.....until they know you care."
    Visit me at Table 2Q at the Blade Show!

Fantastic!! I only got to watch the first 2 handle ones but will be going back to watch the rest later.
    pressonknives@gmail
    Instagram @pressonknives

Just watched the rest Ed, I like what you are doing. One question, do you apply Tru oil to the very front of the scales too, just didn't know since you had all the vasolien smeared on the blade there?
    I really like that profile of those knifes any pics of them complete?
    Last edited by Justin Presson; 01-10-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    pressonknives@gmail
    Instagram @pressonknives

Hi Justin!

I didn't put any Tru-Oil on the fronts of the scales.....prior to gluing the scales, they were profiled, the the front of the scales were contoured, finished to 600 grit, and buffed. After all the coats of Tru-Oil were completed, and light buffed, I gave the whole knife/knives a good coat of wax as the final finish. Visually, you cannot tell any difference between the front of the scales and the rest of them.

I'll try to get some pics of the finished knives this weekend and post them one this thread.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Thank You Ed! Nice job on the videos. Sad to say we didn't get to see your pretty face in them. But really I picked up a few tips that will help cut some time out of my knives!
    Steve

Ed,
    Thanks for the videos. I watched all of 'em and really benefited from your commentary. You made it look so easy that any 3 year old could do it... that is, along with 50+ years of experience :-). Good job!

Thanks Ed for the time you spent filming those. I always think if I could just "look over your shoulder" with one of the pros, I could learn a lot. That's kind of what you videos are like. I've made a few videos and it takes twice as long to do something while your messing with a camera. We had a mini ice storm here this morning, roads closed, wrecked cars everywhere, so I sat down watched all of them. Great info.

I have one question, if you don't mind. During one of the handle videos I noticed you put a belt on what seemed to me backwards to the arrows on it. Being a newbie, I've been trying to put them on with the arrow pointing in the direction of travel. Does it even matter really? Or have I been putting them on backwards? Just curious.

And, one comment if I dare. You're one of the "Top Dogs" around here, so I feel like I should keep my mouth shut, and feel free to tell me to do so. But, as a viewer of far too many hours of YouTube, I'd like to add one suggestion. Instead of working a batch of 4, just have the video follow one blade. Whether through editing or just working it that way, I know it would probably take a lot longer on your end, but your viewers with rural or crappy mobile internet service would appreciate it. All right, feel free to tell to me shut up, I'll still be a big fan!

Ed, Anthony sure summed it with when he said you are "Top Dog" around here.... Well, actually they are a couple... Ahhh, 3.... 4? Well, just say "several" of ya'll "Top Dogs" on this site. I always value and look forward to your advice.

Did just one 220 belt sand all 4 handles? And one 600 grit belt for all 4 handles?

Ken H>

Anthony:
    I noticed you put a belt on what seemed to me backwards to the arrows on it
    Good catch! Here's a little secret about belts....there was a time when belts didn't have any "direction" on them. As all too often happens, there was an accident where an individual got seriously hurt and sued the belt company. After that belts started coming with directional arrows imprinted on the backings. The reason is simple....if a belt breaks, it can be said that "you were running the belt in the wrong direction", and since the belt is broken, there is really no way to prove which way the belt was running when it broke...its nothing more then a liability prevention step by the belt companies. Many times I will reverse heavy grit belts and get more "life" out of them. Am I telling you to do that....NO! See what I mean?

Ken: No, I actually used 2, 220 grit belts, due to the ironwood. Ironwood is tough on belts, and more often then not is simply "clogs" them. There was only 1, 600 grit belt used on all four....but the speed was down to about 30% on the controller, and I was only cleaning up 200 scratches.

www.caffreyknives.net
    Caffreyknives@Gmail.com

Ed what finish do you put on the blade? I see you round the spines off. I usually have my blade all tapped up during handle shaping cause I'm so worried about scratching them up.
    Thanks
    pressonknives@gmail
    Instagram @pressonknives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast