Welcome to KnifeDogs

A Family Friendly Knife Oriented Community Founded For Knifemakers, Collectors, & Enthusiasts.

•  » Forums for individual knife dealers.
  •  » Forums for businesses supporting the knife industry.
  •  » Knife makers individual forums for visiting, support and sales.
  •  » Forums for knives.

...then you have come to the right place!

we will try to help you with your problem.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing Plunge Cuts on the Grinder (How I do it)

Ed, as always, thanks for taking the time to pour your knowledge back into the craft. The video was short, sweet and too the point. The video and audio quality were both great. There are tons of knife making videos on Youtube that have good info, but are hard to get through because the quality is bad.
    Thanks, and i can't wait to see more... I will watch them ALL!
    - J

Thanks Ed,
    Behind every great dude is a great Dudette!
    Thank Cindy for us.
    Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

www.westsidesharpening.com

Maker and seller of Rhino Finger Skins Thermal protection for grinding harden steel.

www.rhinofingerskins.com

Cindy gave us all a great gift. Thank her for us.

Great video. Thanks for posting it.

If you are taking requests, in keeping with the same theme how about your method for grinding and establishing the plunge cuts we just cleaned up?

Ed, the whole bunch is thankful for your wife - she did GOOD!!! The image quality of the video is only exceeded by the knowledged shared, so THANK YOU also. Glad to hear what you said about hand sanding to blend the grind line to flats at top of blade. I've had a VERY hard time getting a nice straight grind line, and felt I was cheating when I blended. BUT - now that I know the "Great Ed" sometimes blends, I feel better {g}

Ken H>

Thank you Ed!

Hey Folks, I just tried Ed's info in the video - using a J-flex belt, let about 1/4" roll over side of platen, and it sure does clean up that plunge nicely. I use a file guide with a round file to file a plunge in, then finish up on grinder. Always was some file marks that took a LOTS of sanding to get out. With this at 400 grit J-flex - nice 'n smooth.

Ken H>

Ed,

I do have a question for you regarding the j flex belts vs stiffer belts. How do you get the lower grit scratches out?

The problem I'm having in the plunge cut are the deep 40 or 60 grit scratches from the Orange blaze belts that I can't get out. I love using my Trizac gator ceramic belts from A300, A150, A100. A65. A45. A5.(I don't remember the grit equivalent for the Trizac Cm belts, I'll post it up in a bit) My last 300 belt is too worn to use but it never really took out the deep scratches well. I used a bunch of cheap belts in the 120-220 but they never flexed over the edge.

I know there are a ton of threads on here and elsewhere regarding belts. However, Ed what belts do you use or would recommend I get between the 40 grit blaze and the 150 gators ceramics? Am I starting too low in the grit with a 40?

Regarding pre or post ht grinding. I grind the small folder blades post ht, thicker blades I've done pre so far.

Thank you for any help you can give me on this.

John
    Last edited by JPSWorks; 12-31-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Just found the grit chart conversion from a post from the Big Dog.

MicronsP GritCAMI (typical US)
    A30p600360
    A45p400300
    A65p260220
    A100p180180
    A160p120100
    A300p8060

John

Great video, Ed sure makes it look easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast