WIP My First Knife

wmhammond

OK, you guys, here comes another WIP. The first one, of my Etching Power Supply, was small potatoes compared to this one. This one will be of my very first, fully completed knife - I hope it gets completed, anyway. So what is it and how did I decide on this particular one? It’s a neck knife - 4 ½” total length, Damascus steel (1095 & 15n20 – 189 layers) purchased on ebay from India. It will have matching Damascus bolsters and a stabilized (by me personally in my home built vacuum set-up) Myrtle burl handle.

THE DESIGN: I have a Harbor Freight 30” Grinder and I have probably spent 15 – 20 hours “practice grinding”. I didn’t think it was “practice grinding” while I was doing it but most of what I did ended up in the trash so now I’ve decided it was “practice”. My conclusion from that “practice” was that it is easier to grind a short blade on a 30” grinder than it is to grind a long blade. Also, a thicker piece of metal gives you a little more room for error than a thin piece, thus I settled on short and thick.

THE PATTERN: I freehanded the pattern on graph paper with a pencil with a big eraser. Criteria was a neck knife, short blade and still a good full feel in the hand so it had to be short and thick but as light as possible so it could be worn around the neck. Here is what I came up with:

IMG_0779.jpg

Bolsters? Why bolsters, this is your first knife. I like bolsters and from what I have seen bolsters are just like the handle itself – they’er just a handle made from steel instead of wood and from what I have done I believe I can handle (no pun intended) it. To make it a little easier, I decided to use the same steel as the blade so that whatever mistakes I make are harder to see.

THE STEEL: Damascus, why Damascus, I mean this is your first knife. Simple, my grinding errors on the blade will be harder to see once the Damascus is etched out. The billet was 12” long X 1 3/4” wide X ¼” thick and I paid $35 on ebay and, man, was it hard. I transferred my paper pattern to cereal box cardboard.

IMG_0780.jpg

and laid out the steel. I hacked off the knife billet with a hack saw and then the bolster pieces with a hack saw. The steel was so hard that I annealed it all in my DIY home annealing station:

IMG_0776.jpg

A few soldering boards and blocks – worked like a charm.

THE METHOD: After I laid out the knife on the steel I cut out the rough profile with a hack saw and then refined the profile with my 6” shop grinder and my 30” belt grinder. After it was laid out I drilled my bolster pin holes and my handle pin holes. Next I switched to the handle wood. I selected it from my home woodworking lumber and decided on a great looking piece of Myrtle Burl. I cut out two scales to size on my band saw and then hardened them in my DIY home Vacuum set-up.

IMG_0769.jpg

I built this set-up from a Harbor freight Vacuum pump, a couple of Bell Jars and some fittings and tubing and used Minwax Wood Hardener as my hardening medium. I then cut out the rough shape on my Scroll saw and drilled them using the guide holes on the knife blank. Once they were drilled I pinned them together and shaped the front edge where they will join with the bolsters on my oscillating spindle sander.

IMG_0786.jpg

Next I had to grind my blade, and honestly, I dreaded it. Through my “Practice Grinding” I had devised a very simple grinding jig – nothing more than a 2X4 cut to a specific angle that I could screw my blade to with a wood screw. Simple, easy and pretty much Fool Proof.

IMG_0777.jpg IMG_0778.jpg

Did I say “pretty much”? well, I ment not so much. I had decided to leave the upper portion of the blade flat with the handle and extend the bolster down the distal portion of the blade for a thumb grip. My calculation was that a 2* angle would allow me to grind about half way up the blade and still leave about 1/16” along the cutting edge of the blade. Well, not so much. In order to get the edge down to 1/16” I ended up having to grind all the way to the top of the blade. So now I had a full flat grind on the blade. Time to do a mid-fabrication product modification caused by a mid-fabrication human f___ up.

IMG_0783.jpg Remod: IMG_0782.jpg

So I had to redesign the shape of my bolsters because there was no longer a flat edge along the top of the blade to allow the thumb rest portion of the bolster to fit tight to the blade. Anyway, using the 30” grinder I cut the flat grind down to 220 grit. Then I hand sanded it from 220 down to 400.

Next I started on the bolsters. Hack sawed them to rough size with the hack saw. Using the knife blank I drilled the pin holes in the bolsters. In preparing to do this, I realized that all my pin material was either brass or stainless steel. I didn’t think stainless would look so great on the Damascus so I pulled out some #8 framing nails and decided to use them. Hopefully that explains the bizarre picture above. So far so good with them but I don’t know how they will end up looking. We’ll see. So I pinned the Bolsters together and began grinding them to size starting on the front end of them where they will sit next to my plunge line and then the tops and bottoms – the easy part. The difficulty will be grinding the bolster/handle fit line.

So, as of now, I have my blade hand sanded down to 400 grit, my wood handles stabilized, drilled and cut to rough size and my bolsters ground on three sides and ready to be fit to the wood scales.

NEXT STEPS:
Harden my blade: After some research I have decided to save some money and quench it in a 10% brine solution. I think my blade is thick enough to withstand the stress of this procedure but we’ll see, this may all come to an abrupt end if I hear the dreaded “Ping”. Then I will temper this little sucker in my wife’s toaster oven.

Grind the bolster/wood handle fit. Slow and easy.

Pin, peen and silver solder the bolsters to the blade

Etch the blade and the bolsters in a 3/1 Ferric Chloride solution.

Cut a secondary grind on my knife blade to get the edge down to ready to be sharpened

Attach the wood scales to the blade

Finish the handle and bolsters

Etch my makers mark into the blade

Sharpen the blade

Make a sheath

Obviously I'm struggling but I feel pretty good about it all so far. Please chime in on my progress so far and on my plan going forward. I'm badly in need of advice. Thanks for coming along,

Wallace

Last edited:
Pretty good day in the shop today. First I cut the bolsters to rough size then ground the bolsters back end to fit the wood scales. Slow and easy on my oscillating spindle sander. I got a perfect fit on the left side and missed it by just a sliver on the right side. Then I fitted the bolsters to the knife using my disk sander and the #8 nails that I'm using as pins on the bolsters. Got a perfect fit and then peened the bolster to the blade. and completely finish sanded the bolsters and blade to 600 grit. Finally I silver soldered the bolsters to the blade. Here's what it looks like now. I think this is going to be a pretty cool little knife if I don't screw it up. Tomorrow we quench the knife in a 10% brine solution and then we etch it. If that goes well I glue on the handle scales. More tomorrow. . . .

IMG_0787.jpgIMG_0788.jpgIMG_0789.jpgIMG_0790.jpg

Good point Cbeatti. Is heat treating after you have silver soldered going to mess up the solder? because the blade is going to be way hotter than what you need to solder right? I have never tried soldering anything on a knife so I don't know. Very good WIP WMHammond it's fun to follow.

Doing good so far but I think you jumped the gun on the bolisters.I don't think the pins will hold up and the soldier will be gone like a piece of tissue paper.

OK, guys, you are all right. I got way ahead of myself, but you know what they say, "Ignorance is bliss" and boy, am I ignorant. I have no idea why I decided to put those bolsters on before I heat treated - senior moment, I guess. I really did know better but you know how it goes.

Anyway, got up this morning and mixed me up 2 gallons of 10% brine solution and heated it up to 150* - not a care in the world, pure bliss. Took my bucket of brine to the shop and put my little make-shift heat treat/annealing oven together and put my little knife in it, bolsters and all. Heated her up to the prettiest cherry red you ever saw, but the shop door was open so you know about ambient light and fluorescent light and white light, and all other kinds of lights. All I know for sure is that a magnet couldn't kiss it's ass. Once it got ready (in my judgment) I stirred up the brine solution in a big swirl (agitation and all that stuff) and plunged her in blade first with the bolsters right on the blades ass. Lots of bubbles and boils but no ping. Left it in the brine for about 2 minutes and took a look. Blade was straight, bolsters were tight (nails held) but the solder was gone, gone. Lots of scale.

Then to the tempering oven, Mama's toaster oven - 400* for 2 hours and cool to hand touch and then 2 hours at 250* and cool to touch. I just made up those temps and times because I have read so much that I really had no idea how to temper this knife. Anyway, after it all the knife looks pretty good - tough little sucker, even I can't hurt it too bad. I have no idea if its hardened or not. A file seems to skip off of it but with a little effort I could scratch it. It's sitting here with me as I type this and I'm glad it cant type - I'm not sure what it might say about my technique or method. All I can hope for is that its tougher than I am stupid.

One other thing I want/need to say. I know full well that you guys are very serious about this. I am to, in my own way, but I have to laugh at myself because if I didn't I don't think I could do anything. I try very hard but I just can't seem to get out of my own way. In no way do I intend my humor to belittle what you guys do. The work displayed on this site is absolutely amazing and the craftsmanship is beyond compare. I just hope to get 1/10 as good as you guys are. Still trying - More tomorrow. . .

Wallace

Wallace- if you cant laugh at yourself while your learning what fun is it. That is what this forum is for to bounce stuff off pros. then to live and learn I have now learned from your mistake with the solder. if you keep on here you will be able to learn from others mistakes. I'm sure if I wrote down all of my mistakes I could save a lot of steel for others. I like to mess up it must be in my blood or something. cant wait to see your knife finished

Wallace the last post was a good read like arock said it's having fun while learning. I'm still so new I think over every step and still manage to screw stuff up just today I drilled a piece of wood for my handle scales and the realized I was going to be short at the front part...oh well.
Keep it coming

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Wallace, I had to re-read your last post a few times...I was thinking that you must have made a number of blunders as you seemed down on yourself for something, but from what I can tell the only mistake was that the bolsters went on ahead of the HT. That's hardly anything to worry about, and worse case is you grind off the pins and re-add the bolsters. I haven't even started my first knife (still working on building my grinder) but I bet the first 20 of my knife attempts will be failures, and I fully anticipate that....and I won't even attempt my own HT, let alone try 1095, for quite a while after that, so hats off to you for giving it all a go! The HT guy I know of doesn't even want to HT 1095 as it's touchy to get right, from what I understand. Cheers!

Sorry guys, no pics today. Early this morning I began thinking about etching my Damascus and it dawned on me that I couldn't do very much wood finishing up next to Damascus that had already been etched. That sorta changed my game plan. I wanted to get the blade and bolsters fully complete and then glue on the handles and finish to the metal but I don't think that will work in this case. How do you guys handle that situation? I decided that I had to finish the blade completely except sharpening it and finish the handles up to about 95% before gluing them on so that's what I did today. I cut a secondary bevel on my blade because I had a very nice distil taper on the back of the blade that was kinda mirrored on the edge of the blade. I wasn't really happy with the result but I didn't know what else to do. I would love some comments on that. Anyway, after the secondary cut I hand sanded the blade and bolster down to 600 grit. Then I used rubber cement and glued the handles to the knife and put in the pins. I ground the pins down to about 1/16" clearance and started finishing the handles. Shaped them on my oscillating spindle sander at 80 grit. Then hand sanded them down to 600 grit finishing the handles and the steel to each other. Took the package apart with a razor knife and hand rolled the rubber cement off the knife handle and scales. Lightly sanded the scales on a 200 grit metal flat surface and put the knife and bolsters into my 1/3 Ferric Chloride solution. Took it out after about 30 minutes and washed it with water and Lava soap. Lava has a little grit in it and it finished the Damascus beautifully - you might want to try it. Anyway, I just finished gluing it up and I should be able to finish it up tomorrow - but then -what about a sheath? Another WIP? maybe.

I want to thank all of you who have read my post and especially those who have commented. I appreciate all of the comments and really look forward to interacting with you guys much more on this site. Thanks again,

Wallace

The longer I chew it the bigger it gets. I can't finish this thing. I spoke above about my dilemma of how to finish the handle scales with out messing up the Damascus etch. I even posted another thread on this forum (See "Chicken or the Egg"). The decision I made was to pin up the scales to the knife and finish the handle scales to 95% then do the Damascus etch and glue up the knife and finish it. Didn't work out.

When I glued up the knife the scales slipped just ever so slightly so I had wood proud of metal in one place and metal proud of wood in another. I also had pins to peen and grind of. When I saw it had slipped I just sat down and thought about it for about an hour. My decision to make was could I stand to have the scales mismatched with the tang on my first knife or not. the difference was minuscule and I mean minuscule but I knew it was there. Also I knew that once I peened the pins that I would have to grind them smooth and then touch up the wood around the pins. In the end I just couldn't leave a mistake that I knew I could fix so I peened and ground the pins and refinished the entire knife scales back flush with the steel. In the process I ended just where I thought I would - with the tang shining brightly next to the bolster and blade that were so nicely etched. So now what do I do?

I first taped off all the wood on the knife and then I got out my concentrated Ferric Chloride solution and painted it on the tang with a small brush. After about 30 minutes I washed it off and, guess what, it seemed to be working! The tang was noticeably darker and so evidence of the steel layers in the tang could be seen. So I reapplied the Ferric Chloride solution and I'm just going to leave it on over night. Don't know what I'll get but I know I'm going to sleep better tonight knowing I fixed the mistake that I knew I made and knew I could fix. Stay tuned.

Wallace

Well, guys, here it is. I think I'm happy with it but with all the issues I'm not sure. I do know one thing, however, I can't wait to start on the next one!

Dwarf Thunder

Damascus steel from India (1095 & 15n20)
OAL 4 7/8”
Blade Length 2”
Blade Width 1 ½”
Matching Damascus Bolsters
Grip Myrtle Burl pinned to full tang
Thickness at the tang 5/32”
Distal Taper
Time of fabrication -- 27 1/2 hours

IMG_0794.jpgIMG_0792.jpg

Whoaaaa...that looks great! Your first knife...ever? You've reached a mighty high bar, especially for your first run at it Wallace. Well done!

Last edited:
Back