VFD help

AkWildman

Hi,I picked up a vfd for my grinder and the one thing I can't figure out is how to hook up a simple start stop remote switch.All I can find is forward stop reverse switch info.The one video I did find confuses me even more as it used two momentary switches one open and one closed.can someone clue me in.I have a Teco drive.I can post the model if needed.Thanks.

Start with posting the model number, and a link to that model manual

Read the manual

Let's see what we can do.

I don't mean to be harsh, but that is probably the worst choice you could have made for a VFD. I can't count the number of times I've attempted to help folks with that brand/variety of VFD......they are a royal pain in the backside. At best, they only work "so, so". The ONLY VFDs that I will use, or encourage others to purchase/use are the KBAC brand.

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/DRIVES-KBAC-NEMA4X.html

Ed, The VFD you linked is a good VFD with NEMA 4X housing - much more suitable for a grinder than the Teco linked by OP. I've used the Teco NEMA 1 enclosure VFD for a couple of years now with a 1 hp lathe with good success. Easy to setup (but I've worked with VFD drives in chemical plants) and does a GREAT trouble free job on the lathe. For a grinder I "might" use it myself (with dust protection), BUT be very hesitant to recommend to others as a grinder VFD due to the NEMA 1 enclosure used which would allow metal to enter the fragile electronics - that really could (will) cause problems. NEMA 4X is really needed as a grinder VFD, unless GOOD dust protection is provided for the NEMA 1 enclosure.

If a dust protective enclosure is used for the Teco VFD, it should be just fine, - then the cost will be very similar to the KBAC recommended by Ed.

BUT!!! Ed has the experience to know what is best - his grinders are used every day, with more hrs/day than my grinder gets in a month! That does make a BIG difference.

Listen to Ed.

Ken H>

My vfd is mounted in a dust proof enclosure away from the grinder.I'm not expecting to much from it just converting from single ph. 220 to 3 ph and remote speed control and a on off switch at the grinder.

Let me take a look at the schematic for that Teco drive unit - it's not hard, I should be able to come with something for you. I'll try to come up with something later tonight.

Ken H>

OK, Looking at page 5 of the Teco manual you should see a photo with drawing of wiring for the Teco. With factory default settings (which should work just fine) wire an ON/OFF switch between terminals #3 and #4. Terminal #3 is a 24VDC common. By putting this 24vdc to terminal #4 the VFD will turn the motor on in forward rotation (Switch in CLOSED position). Removing this voltage (Switch in OPEN position) will cause VFD to stop.

There should be an ON/OFF power switch in the 120VAC line to the VFD. If you need more info, send an email, and we'll setup a phone call. I might can help more that way.

Ken H>

Ok Ken I will give that a go as soon as I get home from Prudhoe,I do have a switch wired into the 220 feed line to the vfd already.

Back