Made myself a Magnetic knife rack

Benr.t

So in order to have somewhere to store my custom kitchen knives, I decided I wanted to make a nice magnetic knife rack.
I started with a really nice curly piece of maple and went from there.

Here I am milling some groove in the back to place the magnets in. These are milled to within about .095" of the front of the board. I also milled pockets for the hangers to sit in.

Here are the Neodymium magnets epoxied in the back. I went over kill and did 2 rows of magnets. : )

Here it is finish sanded. I am testing it out to make sure it has a good hold all the way across the board. This is an Ironwood handle Petit gyuto I made for my wife a couple weeks ago. This 14c28n cuts like a dream!!!

All stained up and oiled!

Here it is installed in my kitchen. I wish these were all my knives, but they were sold shortly after I took the pic. : )
It has plenty of room for knives and it is very secure.

Ben,
Very cool looking!
I love to use magnets for my culinary knives as well and your idea of the hidden magnets is great!

i love would one of those for me n my dad. we both love to cook and what would look great in the kitchen n not take up as much space as the block we use now.

I have heard of using magnets to hold knives, but does staying on the magnets cause the blades to become magnetized over time? Perhaps that doesn't hurt anything?

Those are the rare earth magnets and are really strong!!! Don't get your finger caught between two of them. Take a look at this Amazon page of magnets for some examples: http://tinyurl.com/lgutnf6

Ken H>

Awesome design Ben ! Love it !

I do see this was a January 31st post. However, since I missed it for the January WIP give-a-way I'll enter it for the February drawing.

Take care,

-Josh

Thanks everyone for the comments, I am really happy with how it is working!
And thanks for the chance Josh!

Back